Synodontis decorus - how predatory?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sauvagii

Reaction score
Last thursday I got a very young S. decorus - about 2" in total length. Since he/she was so small I thought i'd put him in my 36" living room tank.

I figured everything in there was safe - even the Neons cos they were at least half the size of the catfish.

Still - im down 3 neons and a honey gourami since then. - Could the Syno be snacking on them during the night?

The decorus will certainly eat neons, they would have just been a yummy snack to it :eek: but a honey gourami should have been a little to large for a 2" fish to swallow unless it was very small.

What size tank do you have planned for the decorus in the future ? Although they grow very slowly they will attain a size of 12"+ once full grown, i hope your really into your fish also, they can live for 30 years or more :eek:

Hey,

The Honey gourami was fully grown, and the neons were pretty big - i would say about 75% of the size of the decorus. Thats why I thought it was a bit much. The neons were found floating, and being picked on by some of my barbs etc. :sad:

I'll be moving the decorus as it grows to the bigger tank i have in my bedroom, so size wont be an issue as it grows. I put it in the smaller tank so that I had a chance of seeing it. S. decorus is one of the fish I've always wanted, but I could only ever find big ones - which were pricey, and I like getting things small and watching them grow up.

I'm used to things growing up big... i used to be in the reptile business... :rolleyes:

'nuff said!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back