swortail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

robby

Reaction score
i have a female swordtail that appeared to be preg. as you could see that she had swollen up and had the black spot near the rear. she has since lost her swollen body and now is always at top of the tank near the filter. today i saw her and observed bubbles to come out of her anus area. is she about to give birth and the black spots are still present. i put her in a breeding net just in case. anyone with more info please help!

As long as she has the black gravid spot she has some babies inside her, it sounds like she's either about to give birth or she has aborted due to stress usually. I hope its the first for you but I think it may be the latter. If she has aborted don't worry because she'll have another batch in about 30 days and you'll be overun by fry soon enough!

Welcome to the forum! :)

:( sorry to announce the female swordtail passed away four days after i made the post about her being preg. dont know what the cause of her death is, it might have been related to her aborted preg. she appeared to be healthy but i noticed she was not eating.

Sorry to hear of your loss robby :( What other fish do you have in your tank and what are the water parameters? eg ammonia nitrIte and nitrAte?

Sorry to here it Robby. :-(

Who knows what the exact reason is. Although i may be wrong, i think that swordtails are odd because after giving birth, there is a 25-30 day period when the female cannot get pregnant.
Dont know if that has anything to do with your fish's situation(it sounds familiar for some reason) but i hope this doesnt change you mind about fish.

I can relate to your situation. I by mistake bought a black swordtail female when I meant to buy a black molly female. Anyway, the she gave birth to about 20 or 30 died fry and then she died. She didn't even look preg. I asume she had them to early and the stress of being moved from pet store to home made her die. It was very sad. -_-

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back