Swordtail query?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

melanie

Reaction score
i have one silver swordtail who has been acting very strange.

she stands upright between plants,rocks and on glass shaking from side to side rubbing her body.

is this normal or is there something i should no about?

i am still here believe it or not ive just been working very hard and now have a week off so i will be chatting to you more often. :D :D :D :D :D :D

sounds like it's the shimmies. Don't know much about this so I will look around for a bit and see what i come up with. Rose

Melanie,

What temperature is your tank kept at?

It may be that the temperature is too low for the swordtail.

You might find the article below interesting:

Swordtails.

Let us know how you get on! :)

Shimmies heres a brief bit of what I can remember.
it's a problem due to a deformed swim bladder, cancer or tb in the organs adjacant to the swim bladder, constipation, poor nutrition, chilling(Feargals post), serious parastic infestaion or a serious bacterial infection.
As mentioned check the temp, also make sure that she's pooping. feed her a peeled cooked pea. that'll clear any blockage if she is and won't do any harm if she is'nt constipated.
If you can post the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite levels.
Have you added anything new to the tank recently? it may be poisoning.
Has she or any of the other fish got any other symptoms or abnormal behaviour.
I'll get my books from the missus tonight and give you a more detailed diag' of shimmies l8r. that is unless someone beats me to it.

If she is rubbing her sides could an alternative to the shimmies be something parasitic?

Tatya,

When Adeyc said
serious parastic infestaion
:laugh: :p :laugh:

I think he meant serious parasitic infestation! Which is a possible cause of the shimmies.

D'Oh
I hadn't read Adeyc's post when I wrote that ;)

...and I thought you were having a dig at adeyc's typo's! :laugh:

Keep yer eye's open folks. I'm about due for a good one too. lol.
Yep I ment parasitic, although paraletic would be close to the mark for me, if it 's the weekend :laugh:

I should have kept my mouth shut shouldn't I ;) ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

makes no difference. I'm due a major typo soon anyway. I cant have all the fun. lol

i havent seen her poop for a little while. she stays in the bubbles all day and i fear she is not eating. ive noticed a small grey/ white patch underneath her left fin. i read about shimmies and that said they rock back and forth but she just literally stands nose up in the water.

i havent put anything new in the tank so really this is quite suspicious. all the other fish are fine. :)

We had a mollie doing that once. Missus called it mollie wag and I think she put Maracyn in the water to treat it. But listen for other input on this first! It did recover though.
I am sure it was Maracyn or Maracide. Meds is the wifes dept.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back