Swordtail fry

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

awesome, sorry for the loss
Apparently I have good fish parents that don't eat their young... The 2 that didn't make it were the albinos like the mother fish those I really wanted.. but there's always a next time with live bearers.. both of these batches look like they came from when they were in the store.. definitely not the male fish I have. Lots of orange with pearl white belly's and some orange wags as well maybe even a orange Micky mouse.. very mixed bunch with the regular green and neon swordtail might be a couple pineapples in that group.. there's 2 that look all yellow very interested in keeping them.

Y
Congrats on your brood, that's a great sign of success in keeping fish.
Yeah.. I've been lucky so far. But they do get spoiled with lots of frozen food. 1 month old and the bigger ones are already gobbling up full size brine shrimp.. funny to watch..

Apparently I have good fish parents that don't eat their young... The 2 that didn't make it were the albinos like the mother fish those I really wanted.. but there's always a next time with live bearers.. both of these batches look like they came from when they were in the store.. definitely not the male fish I have. Lots of orange with pearl white belly's and some orange wags as well maybe even a orange Micky mouse.. very mixed bunch with the regular green and neon swordtail might be a couple pineapples in that group.. there's 2 that look all yellow very interested in keeping them.
i have a pair of neons and the female seems to be infertile
half a year of being pregnant and no baby
maybe she is just scared of me(all the swordtails are)
i might leave her alone for a day?

i have a pair of neons and the female seems to be infertile
half a year of being pregnant and no baby
maybe she is just scared of me(all the swordtails are)
i might leave her alone for a day?
Depends.. some fish are skidish my Corydoras are that way.. my swordtails I tend to overfeed to get them to give birth. And I have noticed they will hide away and box out just before giving birth.. if she looks square from the front she should give birth within a week.. my neon did it over a couple days drop a group then waited a day to unleash the rest.. but she was the harder one to get to give birth.
Lots of frozen blood worms did the trick for me..

Depends.. some fish are skidish my Corydoras are that way.. my swordtails I tend to overfeed to get them to give birth. And I have noticed they will hide away and box out just before giving birth.. if she looks square from the front she should give birth within a week.. my neon did it over a couple days drop a group then waited a day to unleash the rest.. but she was the harder one to get to give birth.
Lots of frozen blood worms did the trick for me..
she has been square for half a year
if she stops being skittish ill take a pic
shes less skittish now
i like them because they school

she has been square for half a year
if she stops being skittish ill take a pic
shes less skittish now
i like them because they school
That sucks. She should have dropped by now. Could be she is skidish, but she should give birth at midnight /pre dawn time frame given the circumstances are right..
I do things differently than suggested.. I over feed, I do cool water changes and am usually cleaning the tank every few days to stay in top of the overfeeding problems that arises.. I don't test my water much, usually can tell by the bubbles on top what's going on in the tank as well as fish activity.

I was heading to a massive alge problem until the swordtails gave birth.. took them a few weeks but they got it all cleaned up.. I have over 100 fish in a 40 gallon right now I set up for Corydoras.. lol... Things got out of control fast...

That sucks. She should have dropped by now. Could be she is skidish, but she should give birth at midnight /pre dawn time frame given the circumstances are right..
I do things differently than suggested.. I over feed, I do cool water changes and am usually cleaning the tank every few days to stay in top of the overfeeding problems that arises.. I don't test my water much, usually can tell by the bubbles on top what's going on in the tank as well as fish activity.

I was heading to a massive alge problem until the swordtails gave birth.. took them a few weeks but they got it all cleaned up.. I have over 100 fish in a 40 gallon right now I set up for Corydoras.. lol... Things got out of control fast...
cool
my guppies are very prolific
i might get another female

Ahhh... About a month later from the first batch and another batch of fry....

Attachments

• IMG_20210724_131446404.jpg
    IMG_20210724_131446404.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 45
Update:
Was getting crowded in my tank, luckily I was able to donate a majority of the swordtails to a couple LFS.. 40 to 50 of the one's I could catch. Lol..
Slowly getting it back to what I wanted the tank to be in the first place a Corydoras community tank..
I also moved a opaline gourami in from my 55 that was getting chased around a lot out of caution...

Also managed to find 4 Corydoras agassizii I couldn't resist getting because the store had them mislabeled as julii and tried calling them some other name. But I knew what they were the second I saw them... Probably go get 2 more, but another store has bumble Cory's (Corydoras reynoldsi) so I'm leaning towards 3 or 4 bumblebee in the Cory tank and another 2 kuhli loaches for my 55 which also has 5 Corydoras in it. That are currently spawning again, but the angle fish are gobbling them up as soon as they hit the glass... These Corydoras love spawning in current..

the experiment continues....

Attachments

• IMG_20211005_105334029.jpg
    IMG_20211005_105334029.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20211009_073815597~2.jpg
    IMG_20211009_073815597~2.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 35
great Colour on the fish!
They did turn out nice, plus I feed varieties of food to try and get more color out of them, finally got my pineapple swordtail though. Along with some 50/50 orange and black ones that still need to grow some. But they look like mini gold fish. And we're fun for a little bit

Attachments

• IMG_20211009_093559739.jpg
    IMG_20211009_093559739.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 28
Update:
Was getting crowded in my tank, luckily I was able to donate a majority of the swordtails to a couple LFS.. 40 to 50 of the one's I could catch. Lol..
Slowly getting it back to what I wanted the tank to be in the first place a Corydoras community tank..
I also moved a opaline gourami in from my 55 that was getting chased around a lot out of caution...

Also managed to find 4 Corydoras agassizii I couldn't resist getting because the store had them mislabeled as julii and tried calling them some other name. But I knew what they were the second I saw them... Probably go get 2 more, but another store has bumble Cory's (Corydoras reynoldsi) so I'm leaning towards 3 or 4 bumblebee in the Cory tank and another 2 kuhli loaches for my 55 which also has 5 Corydoras in it. That are currently spawning again, but the angle fish are gobbling them up as soon as they hit the glass... These Corydoras love spawning in current..

the experiment continues....
wow!
turns out my swordtail had babies, they are growing big now
thats a lot of swordtails, and cory species i have never heard of

wow!
turns out my swordtail had babies, they are growing big now
thats a lot of swordtails, and cory species i have never heard of
I have 6 different Corydoras types in one tank in small groups of 4. Had a few losses but they are doing well and a few started spawning this evening. I eventually want to get all the swordtails out and get a badis or another Scarlett badis.. I already have one scarlet badis in the tank named Waldo because it takes 20 minutes to find the little guy in his 40 gallon mansion...

I have 6 different Corydoras types in one tank in small groups of 4. Had a few losses but they are doing well and a few started spawning this evening. I eventually want to get all the swordtails out and get a badis or another Scarlett badis.. I already have one scarlet badis in the tank named Waldo because it takes 20 minutes to find the little guy in his 40 gallon mansion...
cool
i think one of my corys is egg bound

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back