Swordtail Fish Tank Mates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Noxavi

Reaction score
So, I started my first 10 gallon fish tank about a month ago and didn't do much research on what particular fish I wanted to get for the 10 gallon tank, so I ended up with a male Swordtail. I researched the fish afterwards and noticed that a lot of sources mention the minimum required tank being 15 gallons, which I regret not looking up. However, he seems to be doing fine and enjoys the long 10 gallon tank, but I do want to get other fish but I'm not sure what I can add to the tank. I've read mollies are good but should be grouped with their own to avoid aggression and I won't be able to fit that many in the tank. I've also found that Platies are good choice as well. My issue is mating, because I don't plan on getting a bigger tank anytime soon and the last thing I need is a 10 gallon tank full of fish. Would you guys recommend just keeping the Swordtail by itself or would I be able to add 2 more fish to the tank. Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks!

Stocking your tank really comes down to what your water parameters are. When we know that, we can make suggestions for fish that will thrive in your water aswell as how many you can have in a 10G.

Side note, you can always rehome the swordtail and go for something else once we know what we can suggest

I'm afraid mollies and platies are both too large for a 10 gallon. I agree we need the water parameters

10 gallon tanks were the standard size at one time but they are really not big enough to properly house many fish. A betta and a snail is one choice that many of us recommend for that size tank but we need your water parameters. Some fish are hard water and others are soft water.

Most reactions

Back