Swollen Angelfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

worldgnat

Reaction score
I have a freshwater angelfish who has been in a 10 gallon tank for at least 3 or so. There are a good 40 guppies and a very large cleaner "shark" in with him, and over the past week he has begun to swell up. His abdomen and is eyes are swollen out and he is a little discolored. He doesn't appear to have any trouble swimming, and he doesn't look very distressed about it, but it's definately worrisome. I attached a picture. I appreciate any help.

-Peter

Attachments

• sickangelfish.jpg
    sickangelfish.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 45
The tank is way overstocked.

Stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph.
Are the scales sticking out.
Sounds like pop eye and dropsy.
Epson salt bath to help draw the fluids out, need a baccterial med, but the chances are very slim of the fish surviving to be honest.
Angel fish should not be kept in less than 25 gallons, sharks need large tanks, what type of shark is it.
Look under pop eye and dropsy.
http://www.fish-disease.net/diseases.htm

http://www.fishjunkies.com/Treatments/salt.php

I second the overstocked opinion, angels are tall fish, and need a taller tank than a 10 gallon. You need at least a 20 high for one angel, you could keep some of the guppys in there, certainly not 40. Depending on what the shark actually is, it may be ok, but more than likely not.

Dropsy & popeye are symptoms of an internal bacterial infection. This was probably broght on by overstocking, resulting in poor water conditions. Best thing to do would be to get a pic of the shark for a positive id, and get a larger tank for the angel. You could use the 10 gallon as a temporary hospital tank for medicating the fish. I would start with Maracyn & Maracyn II, as I'm guessing you are in the eastern US or Canada. These meds can be found at any decent lfs. I would also use epsom salt aling with the antibiotics, start with one teaspoon per 10 gallons, increase by a teaspoon per 10 gallons for a couple of days to bring it up to three teaspoons per 10 gallons.

Dropsy is a tough one, the cure rate is around 50%.

Definetely looks like a bacterial problem, medicating wont work unless you either remove or seriously clean the substrate, be it gravel or sand. At this stage I would remove it altogether. Bacteria thrive in warmer water so very gradually try turning it down a degree over a few days, then another. Change 20% of your water every day, fill the water into the container the night before and add de-chlorinator. If possible leave an airstone in it overnight as well, to get it in top condition. The tank is too small as said above but I would be very careful about making a swift change, wait at least until things are looking a bit better. I would start by adding half doses of anti-bacterial, Interpet make a good product 'Anti Internal Bacteria', No. 9 in their treatment catalogue. Dont forget to add aeration when medicating or turn your filter outlet if possible to break the water surface. If there are lots of bacteria in the water oxygen will be getting scarce as it is so this is especially vital.

You are seriously over stocked, you do need a larger tank and since guppies tend to multiply relatively quickly, you need to organise that now. Guppies and angels can work since guppies are more likely to be around the top of the tank whereas angels are happiest floating around the middle, but a good proportion of the guppy babies are going to become very familiar with your angel's stomach so I would never recommend keeping them together.

I don't exactly have a spare 10 gallon tank lying around, so here's what I've done: I filled a bowl, yes, a bowl with water and added some sea salt. It's a touch colder than the tank, but I tried to raise the temp with some water from a healthy tank. I put the angel fish in with some Simply Betta antibacterial stuff we had, and I put the fish in. As the tank is filled with guppies, one got stuck in the net. I obviously can't get him out, so he's my canary. I'm watching the fish carefully, and if either one of them changes I'll move them to the 20 gallon. There are two other angels in there, but it's better than nothing right now. He doesn't look too shocked and the temperature of the water might have mellowed him out a bit. We'll see. By the way, the shark is an enourmous shark, no matter what kind, and he's definately contributing to the problem.

Actually, forget the whole "adding to 20 gallon aquarium" idea. I realized it was stupid after I said it, because that would only infect the other two fish in the aquarium. I'll put him back in his tank if necessary. I can't do a full cleaning tonight, but I've medicated it.

Unless the other two fish are also unhealthy, they should be ok with a fish with bacterial problems, the problem is in the water in the small tank and the risk is probably small if the other two angels are in good health and in good water. Dipping the fish is very distressing, I wouldn't do it unless it's a last resort and the fish is visibly suffering crippling symptoms. Your fish doesn't sound that bad yet.

Too late. He's already chillin in the fish bowl. He looks like he's doing ok. In that case I will put him in the 20 gallon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back