switching to sponge filters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

fisharecute

Reaction score
Hello I've had hang-on-back filters for almost 2 years now and I've discovered spouge filters and I like them a lot more and they seem like they would fit my tanks better I'm getting them in Wednesday (11/25/2020) any tips for switching my filters without crashing my tank?
I have 2 ten gallons one with guppies and ghost shrimp and one with guppies and a dwarf gourami. any help will be appreciated thank you

Setup the sponge filter while still using your HOB. Or you could 'rinse' your HOB media in the tank with the sponge filter running Or just float the HOB media in the tank while the new sponge filter 'seasons'.
Cycling a new filter is similar to cycling a new aquarium.
Just as a footnote, my HOB filters and my canister filter are totally filled with sponge material.

Iā€™m going through the process now.
As Iā€™m still adding fish to tank Iā€™m running the hob at the same time as the two new ā€œdouble canister and double spongeā€* filters for a month before ditching the hob.
Iā€™ve already transferred the hob ceramic beads to the four new canisters and have a few new ones to add plus Iā€™m gonna cut some hob sponge to canister size to put in as well.

This is all stuff I would never have known to do before coming on here having only previously used an under gravel filter. Thank you all for your guidance.

*no idea what theyā€™re called!

Just run both filters at same time. Give it a few weeks then remove old one. Test water for a few days to make sure all ok.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back