Switching to Sponge Filter - have a few questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

scteel24

Reaction score
Hi all ā€“ I currently have a 5.5 gallon shrimp tank. Itā€™s fully cycle and has been running great for almost 6 months. I am using an Aqueon quite flow 10 internal cartridge filter. Iā€™d like to switch to a sponge filter as they are safer for the shrimp fry and the internal takes up a lot of space. I purchased a small sponge filter, air pump, and tubing, assembled it and added it to the tank. My question is, how long should I wait to remove the old internal filter? I assume 3-4 weeks? Can I remove the filter and just leave the cartridge in the tank, or keep the entire old filter running? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I'd keep the old filter running for a few weeks until the sponge filter has matured, as you said.
After that I don't see any reason to leave the cartridge in.

Since the tank is established (6 months or more) there's probably as much bb distributed in the tank as in your old filter. Ypu could run old and new filters together for a few weeks, but in a shrimp tank that generates little ammonia, you could likely just replace the old filter and never see a problem.

Iā€™d place the old media in between the glass and the sponge filter for several weeks. Thatā€™s what I do.

Thanks for the replies!
Hi Deanasue - what media? Do you mean the actual cartridge? It's an internal filter with a carbon cartridge. I'm currently running both and did a 50% water change on Sunday 1/5/20 so I'll wait about 4 weeks and get rid of the internal. thanks!!

Yes, the media would be the cartridge.

Hi, iv just added a sponge filter to my external canister filter already setup as it will add abit more flow and I already have air pumps etc, and was only Ā£5 so no loss there.
I was toying with the idea of fitting a sponge over the outlet pipe to dissipate flow and so the canister is basically biological as the sponge would do the mechanical bit n be easy to see when it needs rinsing. All ideas for the future but I don't have shrimp issues.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back