Switching From Plant Substrate To Sand?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

attibones

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey everybody. This summer, I'm planning on getting some sterbai corydoras so I'll need to change my substrate to sand. Currently I have Eco-Complete. The tank isn't as planted as I want it to be, but my plants are coming back after an invasion of hornwort.

Anyway, I wasn't planning on making the change until after I move back home for the summer because I'll have it empty for the drive, so it will be easy to fill with new substrate. However, should I keep the Eco-complete in and add sand on top of it? Wouldn't the sand sink to the bottom?

How do I secure the essential bacteria and junk hanging out in my substrate? Will my plants suffer?

Should I go ahead and add the sand?

What should I do? I intend to leave for home around May 12, so I figure if I need to get the sand established before I go, I had better do it soon.

A part of me wonders if you could get away with the eco-complete as I don't imagine it's very sharp - but at the same time the corys will like to nuzzle through sand so even if the eco-complete doesn't do any damage, they will be probably be happier on sand
Dunno.gif

As far as making the change goes don't worry about bacteria in your substrate; there's a negligible amount there and your filter bacteria will very quickly make up the difference. Some people see a brief/small spike after doing a substrate change but IMO that's mostly due to all of the muck you stir up in the process. If you do a 100% w/c then you'll probably be fine - I was anyway!

No don't put sand on top of your eco complete it will just fall through and not look very nice. As far as your plants go, I wouldn't worry. They may take a hit but they may not. Either way they will soon recover or you adjust your ferts regime to compensate.

Basically what I'm saying is changing substrate sounds a lot scarier than it is! Top tip: use a dustpan to scoop up the old stuff, it really helps!

I've switched from gravel to sand about a dozen times with no issue. I am mostly concerned for my plant babies. If I lost my favorite amazon sword I would cry. I've had it for over a year and its leaves are around sixteen inches long. I think it was actually my first live plant.

I know the amount of bacteria in my substrate is a trivial amount for the nitrogen cycle, but I was under the impression that it was vital for the plants' root systems. I shouldn't worry about it though? Maybe I'll just get some root tabs to make up the difference for my plants.

Oh I love the idea of a dustpan. I always struggle to get the last bit of gravel out. Love that idea.

I personally haven't heard anything about bacteria in substrate being needed for the health of plants but that doesn't mean there isn't any truth to it! The thing is, you're going to make this change no matter what right? So if the change is going to impact your plants you'll just have to cross that bridge when you get there.

If I had to guess I'd say that most planted tanks do not use a plant substrate and yet folks can still grow great plants. If your plants do suffer due to this change they will adjust and be fine but I honestly don't think you're going to have any problems. Just watch them and act accordingly. If you want to try and preempt a problem, sure add root tabs it's certainly not going to hurt!

You can put sand over the eco complete, put a decent layer and it will stay on top. You will then have the bonus of proper plant substrate there for the plants to access, and not disturbing the bacteria etc 

I would not put cories of eco complete, that stuff is far from smooth if it like the one i have
smile.png

Alasse said:
You can put sand over the eco complete, put a decent layer and it will stay on top. You will then have the bonus of proper plant substrate there for the plants to access, and not disturbing the bacteria etc 

I would not put cories of eco complete, that stuff is far from smooth if it like the one i have :)
Mine looks pretty rough, which is why I was planning on switching. I've got 15 pounds in the tank (20 gallon) and I have most of a fifty pound bag of sand, so plenty of extra substrate. If I've got about 1.5 inches in there already (that's a broad guess), then maybe adding two more inches of sand should work?

I'd much rather add sand and keep the Eco-complete than take it all out. I've got really healthy plants right now for the most part. A couple are still coming back.

I would just put sand over it, a decent thickness. Plants will be happy and so will the cories :)

Most reactions

Back