Switching From A Tropical Community To A Shelldweller Tank..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

n3ont3tra

Lets go Flyers
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've had my 29g freshwater tank set up for a few years now with the normal average community setup - tetras, cories, upside down catfish, kuhlie loaches. Recently I haven't been paying much attention to it and it's being neglected. This is mostly because my saltwater tank is just so much more interesting. So I think I should change up the freshwater and get some fish that interest me a little more.

I've settled on the decision that I'd like to have shelldwellers (multies, specifically). I haven't quite worked out the final stocking list. But how would I switch from one setup to another? The fish I currently have (and my tap water) are at a much different pH than what the multies would need. I can only make one trip to the lfs (I can't drive, my mom will only take me once). In addition, I need to order the multies (and whatever fish go with them) online because my lfs doesn't even sell any african cichlids. :crazy:

So.. what would be the best way to do this?
The day the new fish arrive, I catch all the old fish and return them to the lfs. Then I do a large water change with premade water for the new fish, with the right pH. Then put the new fish in?

It seems impractical, I think I'm overthinking it. :rolleyes:

Think you are over thinking it, i would clear your current stock first then lay out the tank and have it ready and settled for your new arrivals, if you put the new fish in and then change stuff in the tank or new chemicals,buffers etc I think it would just cos a bit more stress.
What tank mates (if any) are you thinking about putting in with the Multis? Have you looked at Julidochromis Dickfeldi , paracyprichromis nigripinnis (blue neon), think the Julis would go nice in there, you could even get awat with a Bristlenose Plec..
Let us know how you get on :good:

Thanks.
But I think i would take out my current fish, then do the water change when there's no fish in there, then put the new ones in.
Would that work?

For the stocking I was considering
6? multies
1? Xenotilapia flavipinnis
1? Altolamprologus calvus (Yellow)
2? Neolamprologus caudopunctatus

I don't know how many of each fish to get, and whether they live in pairs or not. :unsure:

Hi , I would miss out the Caudopunctatus, I have 1 in my tank so can only inform you on that experience, I use a large clam shell, the Caudo burrows under it, downside is it always chases the Multis and anything else that wanders into its patch, :angry: :sad: .(Pain in the a**e).......
The Calvus you want can grow up to 5" in males and 4" in females so don't know if that would become an issue for you :unsure:
The yellow sand cichlid or Xenotilapia flavipinnis can get to just under 4", I have read they need a minimum tank size of 65 gallons BUT that may just be that particular authors opinion, do you know if they are a shoaling fish? Don't know much about them... :unsure: A pair of Julidochromis Dickfeldi would be nice in a tank that size or a small group of Cyprichromis Leptosoma. I would strongly recomend against Lelupi amd Brichardi in beside the Multis, let us knoiw how you get on :good:

Hi , I would miss out the Caudopunctatus, I have 1 in my tank so can only inform you on that experience, I use a large clam shell, the Caudo burrows under it, downside is it always chases the Multis and anything else that wanders into its patch, :angry: :sad: .(Pain in the a**e).......
The Calvus you want can grow up to 5" in males and 4" in females so don't know if that would become an issue for you :unsure:
The yellow sand cichlid or Xenotilapia flavipinnis can get to just under 4", I have read they need a minimum tank size of 65 gallons BUT that may just be that particular authors opinion, do you know if they are a shoaling fish? Don't know much about them... :unsure: A pair of Julidochromis Dickfeldi would be nice in a tank that size or a small group of Cyprichromis Leptosoma. I would strongly recomend against Lelupi amd Brichardi in beside the Multis, let us knoiw how you get on :good:
Thank you very much.
I'll skip the caudopunctatus then.
As long as the calvus dont eat anything then im fine with them :lol:
I will do more research on the xenotilapia.
And Julidochromis Dickfeldi looks cool.
:good:

The Caudopunctatus may be ok in your tank, my tank may be to small and it tends to annoy the Multis , thay crowd up and chase him away, I don't know enough about the Calvus but have seen nice black ones, I believe they are better suited with similiar sized fish, the Julidochromis are fairly peaceful and would only really get territorial if breeding. Hope you get there, would be great to see some pice once its set up, good luck :good:

Thanks again.
Can I keep my upside down catfish?
Also I did a little more research on teh xenotilapia and most websites say to keep them in groups or that they need a larger tank so I'll leave them out. :)

So..
6 multies
2 Julidochromis dickfeldi
1 altolamprologus calvus (needs more research)
possible 3 upside down catfish

Would the julidochromis occupy the rocks? because I would like some activity higher in the tank as well.

I only have one Juli at the moment , it tends to explore the rockwork and likes to hide in the nooks and crannies, very graceful fish, lovely to watch. If your catfish is ok in higher pH then don't see a problem, I chose the Dickfeldi 'cos it seems to be the smaller of the Julis. I have seen some very bright yellow Regani species but I think these get a bit larger and more aggressive so might want to munch your multis, I am certainly no expert but for what I have read the problem with Tanganyika Cichlids is mixing conspecifics(?) , i.e. NEVER mix two types of Julis and that type of thing, hope this helps.... :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back