Swim bladder issues with oranda goldfish

rr20981n

Reaction score
Hello,

One of my Thai oranda goldfish is fighting with swim bladder issues for a month now(it has been on and off), he is floating upside down in the fish tank. I have a total of 4 thai oranda goldfish and 1 butterfly moor in a 85G fish tank. All other fishes are doing great except this one.
Medications that I have tried:
1. I had medicated him with fritz para cleanse and within 2 days he was much better
2. I changed the diet which included blanched peas, but after eating peas he would swim upside down (which surprised me because I thought peas would cure swim bladder)
3. I added vitamins(Continuum Aquatics Bio Viv F - Liquid Multivitamin Supplement for Health and Growth of Freshwater and Brackish Fish) to peas which improved his health considerably.

But recently he was doing much better and so I moved him to the regular diet which is followed by all other goldfish's (2 days a week bloodworms+peas, 3 days a week hikari sinking palates+peas, 1 day a week only frozen bloodworms, Sundays they fast ) and immediately after having bloodworms he started floating again.

I have observed that he has been passing waste from his body. Also right now, I'm fasting him for 3 days and on the 4th day moving him to the only peas diet. But it's been day 2 and he still floats on top majority of the day. I'm not sure what am I doing wrong here.

Water parameters:
0 Ammonia and Nitrite, Nitrate is usually 20ppm. I have a heater for the aquarium which is set at 77F

video showing the fish swimming and when it stops swimming?

remove all dry food from the diet for a week and give it plant matter and prawn. see if that helps.

I used to help on multiple goldfish disease forums and have seen countless fancy goldfish with these issues. I would cease the Hikari food immediately. Me and a few friends found a link to floatiness and Hikari in many fish. If you look at the ingredients, Hikari food is mostly filler and garbage. Good for artificially fast growth, horrible for overall health and maintenance.

Water depth is also a huge issue with fancies. Shallow water is ALWAYS recommended. Deep tanks nearly always cause problems with some fish being more prone to issues than others.

How long have you had the fish and where did you get him? His age and source may be a factor. There may not be anything you can do for him. Also high nitrates cause some nitrate sensitive fish to flip over. Even as low as 20 ppm can cause some fish to have issues.

Peas do not cure swim bladder. They MAY relieve constipation which is a cause of floating for SOME fish. But it is actually rare that peas help with a fish who has chronic swim bladder issue.

I used to help on multiple goldfish disease forums and have seen countless fancy goldfish with these issues. I would cease the Hikari food immediately. Me and a few friends found a link to floatiness and Hikari in many fish. If you look at the ingredients, Hikari food is mostly filler and garbage. Good for artificially fast growth, horrible for overall health and maintenance.

Water depth is also a huge issue with fancies. Shallow water is ALWAYS recommended. Deep tanks nearly always cause problems with some fish being more prone to issues than others.

How long have you had the fish and where did you get him? His age and source may be a factor. There may not be anything you can do for him. Also high nitrates cause some nitrate sensitive fish to flip over. Even as low as 20 ppm can cause some fish to have issues.

Peas do not cure swim bladder. They MAY relieve constipation which is a cause of floating for SOME fish. But it is actually rare that peas help with a fish who has chronic swim bladder issue.

I purchased all the fishes from a breeder (zhaos fancy oranda). This particular one is almost 4 years old now and approximately 5.5inch. Off lately I’ve also noticed that he’s not growing by size compared to the other oranda of his age.
Yes, I have observed the sensitivity to nitrate this fish has, your right there, so I try maintaining it to as low as I can.
What’s your opinion about the attached fish food?

Attachments

• 748E5C97-F6F6-4D03-8F7B-01F66B5C5262.jpeg
    748E5C97-F6F6-4D03-8F7B-01F66B5C5262.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 76
  • FB61862B-6CE6-4949-BAEB-BED30566D273.jpeg
    FB61862B-6CE6-4949-BAEB-BED30566D273.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 86
I thought that Kirin pattern looked very "Bo Zhao". I have several of his fish myself. I had a bacterial problem with an ENTIRE system that cropped up after adding his fish. I have not had swimming issues though. That food is OKAY - but I wouldn't feed it to a floater. Still fairly high in fillers and isn't as digestible as I like.

Bo recommends a diet of ONLY gel food and frozen foods. He says that diets with dry foods cause swim bladder issues in his fish sometimes. I do not feed per his recommendations and have never had trouble.

What are the dimensions of your tank? The first thing we do is remove a floater from deep water immediately.

I thought that Kirin pattern looked very "Bo Zhao". I have several of his fish myself. I had a bacterial problem with an ENTIRE system that cropped up after adding his fish. I have not had swimming issues though. That food is OKAY - but I wouldn't feed it to a floater. Still fairly high in fillers and isn't as digestible as I like.

Bo recommends a diet of ONLY gel food and frozen foods. He says that diets with dry foods cause swim bladder issues in his fish sometimes. I do not feed per his recommendations and have never had trouble.

What are the dimensions of your tank? The first thing we do is remove a floater from deep water immediately.
Apologies for the delayed response. My tank dimensions are 48″ x 18″ x 24″. Should I separate my fish from this tank?

You said you sought help at your LFS. What did they say? I tend to not try to mix different advice sources so I didn't say anything further. I am guessing he has not improved.

You DEFINITELY do not want a floaty fish in that depth at all. Honestly I would never put any deep bodied fancies in that depth. He should be removed immediately to a much more shallow dwelling.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back