Swim bladder help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Vbetta56

Reaction score
My betta has swim bladder which im pretty sure is due to overfeeding, iā€™ve left him alone for three days and have been trying to feed him peas and he just wont eat.( Ive already checked the ammonia nitrite and nitrate)
I don't know what else to do? He just sits at the bottom of his tank

Doesn't sound like a swim bladder issue, sounds like poor water quality.
What are your readings for amm, Ite, and Ate?
How long has the tank been set up?
What kind of water test kit do you use?
What size is the tank? Is it cycled?

Doesn't sound like a swim bladder issue, sounds like poor water quality.
What are your readings for amm, Ite, and Ate?
How long has the tank been set up?
What kind of water test kit do you use?
What size is the tank? Is it cycled?
No ammonia and i dont know what u mean by the other stuff? Its been set up around 6 months. I use API freshwater master test kit. Its a 5.5 gallon (hes alone) and yes it is cycled

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte, using the liquid test kit?
Did you do a fish-in or fishless cycle?

My betta has swim bladder which im pretty sure is due to overfeeding, iā€™ve left him alone for three days and have been trying to feed him peas and he just wont eat.( Ive already checked the ammonia nitrite and nitrate)
I don't know what else to do? He just sits at the bottom of his tank
Hi VBetta! I'm a bit of a novice myself, but from my experience and from what I've read: usually just letting their constipation release on its own is the best thing you can do for it. I've heard fasting for even up to 1 week is helpful. They always say that an unhealthy fish is one that won't eat, so it may not be a swim bladder issue, as Slaphppy7 mentioned. I think it would also be a very good idea to take any advice Slaphppy7 has to say.

How often do you perform water changes?
What water conditioner do you use?

Could just be a sickly betta from the store, many of them aren't in the greatest health when purchased, especially if kept in those horrid plastic cups the LFS uses.

Could just be a sickly betta from the store, many of them aren't in the greatest health when purchased, especially if kept in those horrid plastic cups the LFS uses.
yeah could be but i hope he recovers

yeah could be but i hope he recovers
I'm sure he'll be okay! Betta fish are incredibly hearty, and I've heard they're mindful of their owners. I'm sure your betta appreciates you.

I had a betta fish that I rescued from the LFS and kept for a few months until he began getting strangely sick. I never was able to pin-point why, but he was definitely aging. He lost a lot of body mass, and his fins began getting thin/skinny (he's a veil tail). It came to a point where he was just hanging out at the top of the tank, barely moving, but he would still eat and try to respond whenever I was nearby. I also thought he had swim bladder disease because he started sleeping on his side a lot.

I could've sworn he was going to die of illness or old age since he hardly moved. I ended up putting him into a separate fish bowl that I could keep dark (kind of like a hospice) since he seemed most comfortable hiding/in dark spaces.

For some reason he's doing better now, and he even has that notorious 'white pimple' on his head that supposedly reflects that they are aging. He sleeps at the bottom of the bowl under a rock and comes out in the morning when I feed him. After he eats, he goes right back underneath the rock. Pretty cute, and I'm super happy that he hasn't passed yet.

Sorry for the long story - I think I'm just trying to say that it's trial & error, but don't give up hope! As you keep monitoring your betta, you might find out more of what he needs, and be able to help him in that way.

Hopefully what I wrote makes sense, lol. Good luck!!!

I'm sure he'll be okay! Betta fish are incredibly hearty, and I've heard they're mindful of their owners. I'm sure your betta appreciates you.

I had a betta fish that I rescued from the LFS and kept for a few months until he began getting strangely sick. I never was able to pin-point why, but he was definitely aging. He lost a lot of body mass, and his fins began getting thin/skinny (he's a veil tail). It came to a point where he was just hanging out at the top of the tank, barely moving, but he would still eat and try to respond whenever I was nearby. I also thought he had swim bladder disease because he started sleeping on his side a lot.

I could've sworn he was going to die of illness or old age since he hardly moved. I ended up putting him into a separate fish bowl that I could keep dark (kind of like a hospice) since he seemed most comfortable hiding/in dark spaces.

For some reason he's doing better now, and he even has that notorious 'white pimple' on his head that supposedly reflects that they are aging. He sleeps at the bottom of the bowl under a rock and comes out in the morning when I feed him. After he eats, he goes right back underneath the rock. Pretty cute, and I'm super happy that he hasn't passed yet.

Sorry for the long story - I think I'm just trying to say that it's trial & error, but don't give up hope! As you keep monitoring your betta, you might find out more of what he needs, and be able to help him in that way.

Hopefully what I wrote makes sense, lol. Good luck!!!
Thank you for the hope youā€™ve given me for him i hope he can pull through that sounds familiar to what has been happening to him !

Forgot to mention that with feeding, be careful not to over-indulge your fish pal. I keep a strict diet for mine (3 little pellets that are 40% crude protein). If I ever feel like giving my bettas a treat, I'll give them 1 freeze dried bloodworm. On weekends I'll even let them fast. They're OK to go without food for a day or two. (Unless I'm wrong - if so, please, someone correct me, lol.)

Glad I've given you some hope. It'll be okay!! :wub:

Forgot to mention that with feeding, be careful not to over-indulge your fish pal. I keep a strict diet for mine (3 little pellets that are 40% crude protein). If I ever feel like giving my bettas a treat, I'll give them 1 freeze dried bloodworm. On weekends I'll even let them fast. They're OK to go without food for a day or two. (Unless I'm wrong - if so, please, someone correct me, lol.)

Glad I've given you some hope. It'll be okay!! :wub:
ohh, thanks iā€™ll try to start feeding less

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back