Swim Bladder Disorder

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

turbotiber

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well I haven't had any major problems with any of my boys for a while now, well until now. One of them, Trebol, is swimming sideways. First thing I thought "oooh no dropsy!" So I go over t him and no pine coning. This was about 3 days ago. Changed his water and figured maybe he was constipated so I fasted him that day, fed him the next and fasted him today as well. He's still swimming funny and his abdomen is pretty bloated. I fed him and he gobbled it right up so he's fine in that sense, but it does bother me to see him try to swim down and get all tired and jsut float to the top sideways. :unsure:

Anyway ideas as to what it could be? Is it jsut swim bladder? Should I fast him again? I could do a pea but he doesn't really like them. -_-

All I have for meds are salt, meth blue, malachite green and betta fix.

Any ideas, comments, solutions gladly accepted!! :thumbs:

I would definitely try the shelled pea. I have never had a problem with either of my bettas but it definitely worked on a cory. I would fast him 2 or 3 days and then give him the pea.

That happened to one of my female bettas (see attached picture). She suffered from Swim Bladder Disorder (SBD) because of overeating (and overfeeding - my fault :/ ) and she recovered after 2 days of fasting.

post-5-1100302534.jpg

Sometimes, when a fish overeats or is constipated, its stomach swells beyond the normal size and compresses its swim bladder. A fish suffering from SBD needs time for its digestive system to gradually process the food in the stomach to allow the pressure on the swim bladder to reduce.

As suggested by rdd1952 and BettasRFriends, bite-size portions of a cooked and de-shelled green pea could be fed to the fish to purge its gastro-intestinal tract after the period of fasting.

If the fasting and green pea treatment do not solve the problem, it could be due to a ruptured or injured swim bladder or a bacterial infection.

Ok here's a little update on the situation...

I fasted Trebol for 3 days and he pooped.. I mean he really pooped. ANyway, so I thought he was fine and fed everyday, although I cut back on his food, I'd give him only 2 little pellets a day.

Then a few days later, he was at it again, bloated and swimming funny and not being able to stay down. He'd get tired of swimming down and jsut lay at the top sideways or semi side ways.

So I fasted again and put him in a little hospital jar with bettafix and a little salt. I dunno, I'm starting to think maybe it's like DChia said, injured swim bladder or infection? Any ideas??

Sounds like he's got major probs with constipation.
Fast him again and see what he does.
You may have to go thru a ritual where once he gets better you cut back on food, or make your feedings very sparse with very little each time.

I'd give that a try.
Harvey has problems like that every once in a while - sometimes I go to check him out and he's puffier than Santa in the belly. but I don't feed him for a couple of days and it goes away...

Swim Bladder Disorder (SBD) sometimes aka Swim Bladder Syndrom, or SBS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:
Swim bladder disorder is a condition that a fish can obtain usually as a direct result of diet, but sometimes also bacteria or even a deformed bladder. Overfeeding is the most common cause, while not feeding enough variety is the second most common. It is not contageous, nor is it truly a disease, but more of a condition. It is by no means deadly, and does not directly cause pain to the fish, but is more of an aggrivation for it, in most cases. But stress can lead to other problems, so it is of course important to treat.

When a fish overeats, its stomach swells beyond its normal size, causing it to press against the swim bladder organ.

Constipation and/or lack of variety in the fish's diet can cause SBD. This causes swelling as food has difficulty passing through the fish, clogging up and causing the stomach or digestive system to swell and press against the swim bladder organ.

SBD causes the fish to lose control of its buoyency. They use their swim bladders to adjust the amount of gas contained within, giving them the ability to maneuver and swim. When they are affected with SBD, they will have problems swimming straight and will instead lay sideways and/or will have problems with staying beneath the water at all. They will sometimes try to jam their bodies underneath objects in their bowl/tank in order to anchor themselves down. When they do try to swim, it looks more like a shimmy.

SBD can also be caused by bacteria. If fasting (see treatment below) does not cure the problem after a few days, treat with an antibacterial medication.
SBD could possibly be caused by some type of rupture to the swim bladder. Dropping a fish, pouring water too fast into a tank, or an overly aggressive spawning partner or tankmate might rupture the swim bladder organ.
Treatment:
In cases of rupture, there is not much you can do other than keep the fish clean to help prevent a bacterial infection, and wait it out. It may eventually heal or it may not; cull or keep, your call. Not moving the fish around will help it to be more comfortable.

Otherwise, if you don't think rupture could be the cause, the best way to treat SBD (the key word is treat, not cure, it's not a disease) is to fast the fish for about 3 days. The lack of food will give the fish's digestive system time to process and purge, allowing pressure to gradually reduce from the swim bladder, allowing its swelling to go down. Even if not due to constipation this will not hurt, because adding food would put even more pressure on the organ. At the end of the third day, if the fish is still having difficulty, it may require longer to allow the swelling to go away, if the problem was due to constipation. A betta can, at extreme, survive for a month without food (this is part of natural survival technique) so do not fear not feeding your betta for a few days. They are very durable fish. At the end of the fasting period, if you really want to ensure the system is flushed out, you can feed a bite-size portion of a cooked, de-shelled, green pea to the fish. Or, daphnia can work as a natural laxative. This, too, will help to purge out the system.

If your fish does not respond to fasting, it may have a rupture or bacterial problem, or even permanent damage due to a defect. Resume feeding the fish, but be especially careful to never overfeed it... keep in mind that most likely it will be less active with this condition so it won't require as much food, too. Keep it clean and hope for the best.

Prevention:
Most importantly, be sure not to overfeed. A fish's stomach is roughly the same size as its eye. If you can envision how much food would fit in there, anything beyond is overfeeding. If you want to feed twice a day, split that amount in half to feed each time.

With bettas, it is important to feed the fish a variety of foods. Bettas are carnivores, requiring high protein but no plant material in their diet, which most other types of fish obtain from their foods to maintain balance. A common cause of betta SBD cases are pellets. Pellets are a common food fed to Bettas in order to provide a balanced nutrition in an easy format. While this is great, they are typically made with a portion of ash, which is hard for a fish to process. Additionally, pellets swell after they are wet so pre-soaking pellets can help. Older fish are more prone to get SBD; eliminating pellets from their diet entirely is not a bad idea. Be sure to feed variety. Not only do bettas enjoy this more, but it is healthier for their digestive system. Many people choose to skip feeding one day a week to help with this. Feeding daphnia periodically can help to keep things working properly for your betta.

In fry, SBD is often linked to overfeeding on BBS. This may be due to consumption of eggshells. So for fry, either careful handling of BBS or hatching and feeding decapsulated BBS eggs instead of regular, as well as being careful not to overfeed, are ways to prevent SBD. Indications in fry: they will look overly bloated and will "belly slide" along the bottom, as they are unable to swim off the tank bottom.

In some cases, the fish's swim bladder can lose functionality due to old age or deformation. The fish can still usually live out a perfectly healthy life despite this condition. If all treatment fails, there is no need to euthanize the fish.

Try feeding frozen bloodworms instead of pellets..the pellets may be your problem.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back