Sweetlips

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
hey guys.
decided to see how id go with this lil bugger after the fish store got a fair sized jouve in the other week. he's probably about a year off begining his morph and was just wondering if anyone has had any luck feeding. i was already aware of the 2 major hurdles. finicky eater and the need to supplement massive amounts of protein etc from liquides and so forth.

i have a few bottles of different vitamine soaks etc ready to go but befor i begin soaking the food in this stuff i need to get the lil bugger eating. He was introduced with a toby puffer who has become an extremely large hit with the family so fare. Now i havent added anything for quite a while so im not sure how long is ok befor i should start worrying about a lack of eating. the toby puffer admitedly did only begin eating this morning 3 days after they were acclimated to the tank, this and ive seen the sweetlips picking at the live rock and my substrate in what im hoping is her foraging for leftovers atm. Also i believe she may have been eating the new life spectrem id been putting into the tank.

of course i understood that most specimens dont last long in captivity but that if supplemented right will survive once feeding is kick started.
oh actually just a thought i have bout 150 baby cichlids bout 2 months old, would these possibly stimulate feeding? would i be best to use some sort of vice to hold the fish down to her or just drop it in and fish it out later if needed?

They apparently eat molluscs, fishes and crustaceans at night. Do try live foods, though do not allow the fish to become "hooked" on any freshwater-based foods. These will damage the liver in time. Just drop them in, probably.

Also, these fish can reach two feet in length, and they do change colour.

he was only a new arrival which was a stupid decision on my part at the time, but as they had 2 more shipments coming in over the week, i saw it as more chance suriviving if bought now then later. so i guess i should probably allow a lil longer then usual for him to settle. see how we go. btw the cichlid i dropped in was snatched by my hawkfish oddly on one of its usual midnight patrols. yeah ive been trying to feed it at night. its just to shy atm.

also am aware of the fish's size and colour morph. if need be ill upgrade for it, but to the point at hand atm, getting it to eat. might try soaking some prawns in garlic tonight.

hey all. so i spread some Sprectrum THERA + out tonight from newlife spectrum. i feed it mostly to my cichlids but also my marines as its all purpose.

so yeah i spread some out tonight through the tank and ive noticed what seems to be the sweet lips scrounging through the sand gravel picking at it so im guessing its eating it. im hoping this is the first signs of feeding. just wondering how much nutrition this is for the sweetlips as i know nutrition is a major problem and how long it can sustain it as this is currently the only food ive seen it eat. theres no sinking of the stomach from what i can see yet, so still fingers crossed.

oh btw can the thera a spectrum pellets be soaked in supplement liquids and if so should i try doing this?

hi

i give my spotted sweetlips lance fish and mysis thats what i got him feeding he wasnt eating anything for 3-4 days then tryed these and accepted them

good luck

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back