Sweet potato removes nitrates?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi. Saw an article about sweet potato slip root ball being grown in aquarium and that it's a really good nitrate filter / remover.

Have you read about this or tried it, and please share your experience.

I just set up a peace lilly aquarium, the roots are submerged and the plant is growing from the tank. It pulls nutrients directly from the water column. I guess the sweet potato has the same effect.

This makes sense. All terrestrial plants use nitrates as their source of nitrogen. So any terrestrial plant with its roots in an aquarium holding fish will remove the nitrates to some degree (depends upon several factors). The roots only must be in the tank water, either in the tank itself or a filter. Some plants can be toxic though.

If there are fast-growing submersed aquarium plants in the tank, they will take up most of the nitrogen as ammonia/ammonium, unlike terrestrial which use nitrate. This means less ammonia is oxidized into nitrite and thus less nitrite is oxidized into nitrate.

The better situation here is to have thriving aquarium plants removing the ammonia/ammonium, if the nitrate is occurring within the aquarium. But if nitrates are present in the source water, the use of terrestrial plants will help.

Edit. Colin's post #4 is critical here too, I had missed that (never thought of it).

Last edited:
I just set up a peace lilly aquarium, the roots are submerged and the plant is growing from the tank. It pulls nutrients directly from the water column. I guess the sweet potato has the same effect.
Any chance of photo? I have Peace lilly and would like to try

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back