Swapped my pleco food

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
I have swapped my pleco food , partly because I want to see him out more and partly because I just donā€™t feel algae wafers are enough for him , I switched to the fluval bug bite pleco food and probably being is everyone loves it they all flock to the food , curious, I checked the ingredients in comparison to the bug bite cichlids ingredients and there isnā€™t much difference, should this be so ? I thought pleco and cichlids diets would vary more
Pictures: red is cichlids formula green is pleco formula

Attachments

• EFB8F39D-ED84-400B-9DDA-DA7500557428.jpeg
    EFB8F39D-ED84-400B-9DDA-DA7500557428.jpeg
    332 KB · Views: 73
  • 4C40BC83-1C5F-46E7-AF61-CC2A36CCC6FC.jpeg
    4C40BC83-1C5F-46E7-AF61-CC2A36CCC6FC.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 81
It depends on the species of pleco you've got. Ancistrus are primarily vegetarians, but their diet should have some protein, circa 10%. Hypancistrus are carnivorous. I give mine cichlid pellets and the Omega One shrimp pellets. Your wood eating ones in the Panaque genus eat, well, wood (and the biofilm on wood) and should only be given a small amount of protein. There's a lot like the Baryancistrus and Peckoltia that are considered omnivorous. And so on and so forth. PlanetCatfish's database is your friend!

I would give those pellets to Hypancistrus and the omnivorous species, but not to Ancistrus or Panaque.

It depends on the species of pleco you've got. Ancistrus are primarily vegetarians, but their diet should have some protein, circa 10%. Hypancistrus are carnivorous. I give mine cichlid pellets and the Omega One shrimp pellets. Your wood eating ones in the Panaque genus eat, well, wood (and the biofilm on wood) and should only be given a small amount of protein. There's a lot like the Baryancistrus and Peckoltia that are considered omnivorous. And so on and so forth. PlanetCatfish's database is your friend!

I would give those pellets to Hypancistrus and the omnivorous species, but not to Ancistrus or Panaque.
Itā€™s a sailfin pleco lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back