Suspecting internal parasites - but won't arrive soon enough

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I suspect my corydoras have internal parasites. The medicine I was recommended can only get here by delivery, by then it might be too late. Is there anything I can do without having the medication? The suspected parasites kill my corydoras quickly after they show symptoms. They seem to be the only fish in the tank affected. The stores near me are Pet Depot, PetSmart, and Petco. But I've heard from reviews their fish medications are ineffective. Is there anything that will significantly help in these stores?

I want to save my fish from dying off. I've been doing daily partial water changes hoping that would help but it hasn't seem to save them. I quarantined when I realized what the cause most likely is, but didn't manage to save them. Now I only have three left. What can I do to help keep them alive until I can get medicine?

Pictures and video of the fish so we can try to identify the problem?

How long have you had the fish for?
What symptoms are they showing?
What does the fish's poop look like?

Did you add anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before they started dying?

How long has the tank been set up for?
What is the ammonia, nitrite nitrate and pH of the aquarium water?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
Is the filter run continuously (24/7)?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

How often do you normally do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do water changes?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What other fish are in the tank?

What medication did you order?

Pictures and video of the fish so we can try to identify the problem?

How long have you had the fish for?
What symptoms are they showing?
What does the fish's poop look like?

Did you add anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before they started dying?

How long has the tank been set up for?
What is the ammonia, nitrite nitrate and pH of the aquarium water?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
Is the filter run continuously (24/7)?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

How often do you normally do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do water changes?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What other fish are in the tank?

What medication did you order?
Never mind, it might be the filter because I didn't know how to clean it before. I just cleaned it today so hopefully that'll stop them from dying. Nitrate 20, nitrite 0, ph 6.5, the test doesn't test for ammonia. I do run the filter continuously, is that bad? The filter is an Aqueon. I've had the fish for a few months. It won't let me submit vids or pics for some reason. The cories affected were lethargic and breathing heavily. I don't know what the poop looks like, I haven't seen it. The tank has been set up for a year. Their tank mates are platies and a female betta. I do use water conditioner. I didn't order any medicine, I was looking online and saw shipping mostly take at least a week.

I realized the likely problem but decided to provide these details anyway. I learned and I did clean the filter. Is this enough where the other fish won't die or should I do more?

How did you clean the filter?

Yes, the filter should be running 24/7.

For videos you need to upload them to YouTube or similar video hosting site and post the url on here.
I don't know why you can't post photos though. Have you been using the 'attach files' box under where you type your reply?

How did you clean the filter?

Yes, the filter should be running 24/7.

For videos you need to upload them to YouTube or similar video hosting site and post the url on here.
I don't know why you can't post photos though. Have you been using the 'attach files' box under where you type your reply?
I took it apart, rinsed off all the gunk, then put it back together. For the photos, it says the file type isn't supported.

What file type are you trying to attach? There's quite a long list given in the 'attach files' box - is yours one of them?

What did you was the media in, old tank water or tap water? Tap water has chlorine or chloramine added to kill bacteria so washing them in tap water can kill all the good bacteria in there.

What file type are you trying to attach? There's quite a long list given in the 'attach files' box - is yours one of them?

What did you was the media in, old tank water or tap water? Tap water has chlorine or chloramine added to kill bacteria so washing them in tap water can kill all the good bacteria in there.
I did finally get the image to work.

Oh no I did clean it with tap water, what do I do now?

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 29
I did finally get the image to work.

Oh no I did clean it with tap water, what do I do now?
There is some evidence that a rinse (not soak) with tap water will not kill all the bacteria in your filter, also bacteria live on the tank surfaces and substrate.

If you want to be absolutely sure, test for ammonia and nitrite for a few days. If they stay at zero, good. If they don't do a water change.

If you want to be absolutely sure, test for ammonia and nitrite for a few days. If they stay at zero, good. If they don't do a water change.
I'm already doing daily water changes to save my fish from dying.

I'm already doing daily water changes to save my fish from dying.
You may have to keep doing them for a few more weeks depending on what the ammonia and nitrite levels are like in the tank.

Monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels for the next few weeks. If there is any reading above 0ppm, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the levels are back to 0ppm.
Make sure any new water is free f chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

You may have to keep doing them for a few more weeks depending on what the ammonia and nitrite levels are like in the tank.

Monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels for the next few weeks. If there is any reading above 0ppm, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the levels are back to 0ppm.
Make sure any new water is free f chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
I don't have a test for ammonia, but nitrite is 0. I have water conditioner that takes care of chloramine and chlorine. I won't be able to monitor it all the time because I'm going on vacation soon for a week.

If you are going on holidays, add a heap of live plants asap and let the fish go without food while you are away. They will be fine for a week without food.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back