Suspected low PH killed fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Anonyfish

Reaction score
Had a rough couple of days with a new tank. I set up and cycled the tank a month ago, and had been doing regular test to see how the water was doing. The ammonia and nitrites came up and then dropped back down to 0 after 3 weeks, and I have a very small amount of Nitrate, which I believe indicates the presence of beneficial bacteria. I then left it another week to be sure. The only thing I noticed is the PH was lower in this tank than my others, but not by much. My Tanks are usually around 7 maybe a bit below, and this tank was nearer 6.

I added 9 Kubotai Rasbora's I had in another tank for a few months, to the new tank and acclimated them for an hour. They all seemed fine, no change in behave/faster breathing etc. I spoke to my LFS and found out they had 7 left from the same batch, so I bought these to increase the group and also try reduce stress. No issues at all on first day.

I then noticed the next morning that sadly a couple had died, I put this down to the fact that I had heard these fish don't travel well, so it was likely the stress, still no signs the fish were struggling.

I then checked the tank this morning, to see just 3 left. I moved these in to another tank before going to work, and it seems they are doing ok. I have been beating myself up all day for not doing this sooner and saving the others, I just was trying to avoid stressing them further. I did a test after and there was still no ammonia or nitrite.

I am wondering what I can do to make sure it is safe to put fish in this tank? I have 2 other tanks and have only lost 1 other fish this whole time. I have soft water, usually about 3-5 and KH is similar. I also put a piece of driftwood in the tank (Although not large) so I am wondering whether the driftwood and the soft water meant that the PH crashed and I needed to perform a big water change once all the tannins had been released, as my tap water comes about 7, though I am just not 100% sure on this.

I want to be able to add fish to my new tank, however I will not do so again until I am 100% confident it is safe.

Had a rough couple of days with a new tank. I set up and cycled the tank a month ago, and had been doing regular test to see how the water was doing. The ammonia and nitrites came up and then dropped back down to 0 after 3 weeks, and I have a very small amount of Nitrate, which I believe indicates the presence of beneficial bacteria. I then left it another week to be sure. The only thing I noticed is the PH was lower in this tank than my others, but not by much. My Tanks are usually around 7 maybe a bit below, and this tank was nearer 6.

I added 9 Kubotai Rasbora's I had in another tank for a few months, to the new tank and acclimated them for an hour. They all seemed fine, no change in behave/faster breathing etc. I spoke to my LFS and found out they had 7 left from the same batch, so I bought these to increase the group and also try reduce stress. No issues at all on first day.

I then noticed the next morning that sadly a couple had died, I put this down to the fact that I had heard these fish don't travel well, so it was likely the stress, still no signs the fish were struggling.

I then checked the tank this morning, to see just 3 left. I moved these in to another tank before going to work, and it seems they are doing ok. I have been beating myself up all day for not doing this sooner and saving the others, I just was trying to avoid stressing them further. I did a test after and there was still no ammonia or nitrite.

I am wondering what I can do to make sure it is safe to put fish in this tank? I have 2 other tanks and have only lost 1 other fish this whole time. I have soft water, usually about 3-5 and KH is similar. I also put a piece of driftwood in the tank (Although not large) so I am wondering whether the driftwood and the soft water meant that the PH crashed and I needed to perform a big water change once all the tannins had been released, as my tap water comes about 7, though I am just not 100% sure on this.

I want to be able to add fish to my new tank, however I will not do so again until I am 100% confident it is safe.
I use Seachem’s

I use Proper PH it keeps your PH stable. Seachem’s makes one too.

Attachments

• ED9DFA0A-3A55-4942-AE46-6836C27B62AC.jpeg
    ED9DFA0A-3A55-4942-AE46-6836C27B62AC.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 34
Sorry for your losses, Kubotai are such beautiful little fish, but I had no success keeping them...in my case, I think it was poor stock
What kind of test kit do you use? What is the ph of your tap water? Municipal, well?

Test 2 samples of your tap water, one straight out of the tap, and one 24 hours later, after sitting in a cup or bowl...depending on your source water, dissolved gasses straight from the tap are can be higher, since the tap water is under pressure, ph values for some of us can change after water "gasses off"

More often than not, IME, it's best to not try to artificially manipulate your ph values, but to stock with fish that they are suitable for.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back