Surprising fiskeeping moments?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishperson100

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What have been your surprising fiskeeping moments? I had a fish in a bowl once, did a water change, was putting it back on the desk, and I dropped it! Found the fish on the floor alive! I put him back in the bowl with more water. I also was siphoning water from my 10 gallon when the tube that connected to the thing that you can squeeze to pull the water up fell off, which then made a mess...

P.S. I'm sorry, I know this is fish related chat, but I'm not sure where it goes.

General Chat is fine.

I went into the shop one day and found a dry male Betta on the floor. I picked him up by the tail and he stood straight up he was that dry. I put him in a bucket of water and went off to do other things. A few hours later he was swimming around the bucket. Yay for labyrinth organ :)

One of my more interesting surprises involved my marine tank. I had damsel fish, blennies and some fire gobies in the tank. The fire gobies lived underneath a dead brain coral skeleton. I hadn't cleaned under the coral for a long time so one day I started lifting out the coral to gravel clean the tank and a group of baby fish came out from under the brain coral. The fire gobies had babies, unfortunately the other fish saw them and ate em :(

Same marine tank a short time after, and my false Tasmanian blennies started breeding inside a dead clam. I had the 2 halves of the clam sitting together to make a clam cave and the male lived in there. They started laying a few eggs but continued laying more every couple of days. This went on for months and the inside of the clam (both halves) were completely covered in tiny green eggs.

When I first started fish keeping many moons ago, I bought several fish that grew very large...too large for a 35 gallon tall hex. Among the fish were a couple of Clown Loaches and 2 Bala Sharks. They grew quickly. The Bala sharks would swim rapidly chasing each other around the tank. The tank has a plastic lid. One day I came home and noticed the cover was knocked off the tank. Turns out the 2 Bala Sharks thought there was more swimming space outside the tank and decided to check it out by knocking off the lid and jumping out. Found them deceased on the floor a few feet away from the tank. I know better now when stocking my tanks.

More recently, the extension tube on my HOB filter had fallen off. I didn't notice till I did a fish count that 2 rummynose tetras were missing. Then noticed the extension piece with strainer laying on the bottom of the tank. Found them dead in the filter...they were sucked up into the open end of the intake tube.

Another incident... I have a HOB filter as well has a large sponge filter on my 35 gallon tall hex tank. . The sponge filter was very close to the side of the tank. A tetra got trapped between the sponge and the side of the tank and died.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! I especially enjoy the betta part Colin_T : )

Last month, I had to move my tarpon to my dad's koi pond because it was being bullied by my Arowana in my 600 gallon aquarium. It has always eaten frozen shrimp and fish from the grocery store, but after a few weeks in the pond, my tarpon stopped accepting the meaty foods that we offered it and instead chose to only eat the pellets that we give to koi.

My experience is similar to Colin T's. A long time back, I owned a glowlight tetra, when I was doing a water change, I put it in a small container. (I was a beginner and didn't know a bunch of things). It jumped out in the process. I came back to find it nearly dried up on the carpet. My mom was just about to step on it...she did, a bit. I immediately scooped it up, put it back, and it started to swim around like its normal self again. Wow!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back