Surprise explosion of fry!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

H2Ohyeah

Reaction score
So I've been working on my newest project which is a 75 gal planted tank over the past few months. So far, everything is going absolutely wonderfully and apparently a little too much so!
Currently, I have two adult gold gouramis (both male and female) and woke up the other day to an explosion of fry! Apparently the tank conditions are doing rather well, as this was definitely not expected but I thought I'd share some fun with you guys and see if anyone has had this happen before and what I should do! The male is definitely showing mild signs of aggression around where they're staying, but that portion of the tank is so small that I'm not worried about it. Any thoughts? :)

Attachments

• 20220824_093725.jpg
    20220824_093725.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220824_093446.jpg
    20220824_093446.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220824_093548.jpg
    20220824_093548.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 57
Welcome to TFF, and congrats on the fry...you have some major selling/rehoming to do in your future ;)

These are opaline (3 spot) gourami, known to be pretty aggressive, especially when guarding fry...what other fish are in the tank?

Thanks a ton for the response! I'm so happy to be here!

So there are the two (what I thought were gold) gouramis, one dwarf opaline gourami, three mystery snails, and one very happy albino polypterus endlicheri.

Oh, wow...you do realize that the bichir will grow to well over 2 feet in length, correct?

7' tank (at minimum) suggested by SF: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/polypterus-endlicheri-endlicheri/

Do you plan on rehoming when it reaches adulthood?
Yeah, the birchir was falsely advertised by a pet shop as it would reach only a few inches. Right now he's sitting at about six inches in length, but still growing. Thankfully, I've made good friends with a local reliable shop who would be happy to help rehome once too big for the tank.

Congratulations! Lovely gourami! And so glad you have a home lined up for your birchir 😅 they get mahoosive!

Thanks! Yeah I had no idea they got that large, as my new shop has thankfully very much informed me of. It's a shame since I adore the little guy, but sadly he won't stay little forever.
Anything that fits in his mouth is fair game for a meal....maybe you won't have a problem moving some of those fry after all :oops:

At any rate, good on you for having a shop to take it, and your willingness to move him when the time comes

Thanks! Yeah, I don't ever want to have a fish in any conditions that aren't ideal, so if my tank becomes too small for him, he's got to go. I'm in the business of appreciation, not abuse!
And, you have learned one of the most important lessons in fishkeeping, as well...never trust advice given to you by pet store employees

They are there to make $$$, not give good advice....most of the time, they haven't a clue about proper fishkeeping, or the needs & requirements of the fish they are selling

Most reactions

Back