Surface Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jkrekord

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi
I have a rather simple questions... Im completley redoing my tank, the tank is 100 lites. The substrate is to be crushed coral sand, but undernest that i going to have a thin layer of Tetra complete plant substrate (or whatever its called). The tank will just have standard juwel T8 lighting, however i shall add reflectors. The main focus of the tank is going to be shell dweller cichlids. However im also going to have halfbeaks and limias and some other stuff. I want surface plants however they must be easy to keep any reccomendations? Also i would like a few plants to go at the sides of the tank, however i want them to not take much space across the bottom yet to be tall enough to go towards the surface any suggestions there?

Hi I keep and breed killifish. my absolute favourite surface plant is Salvinia. Even with ordinary candesant light bulbs you'll be chucking it out by the handful. Dont use duckweeds or Riccia, gets everywhere and are hard to control. So, you'll not go far wrong with Salvinia for an easy to grow surface plant. And a absolute gem of a plant for you would have to be Hygrophillia polysperma. Two plants that will virtually grow anywhere and under a wide range of illumination.
Regards
BigC

Hi I keep and breed killifish. my absolute favourite surface plant is Salvinia. Even with ordinary candesant light bulbs you'll be chucking it out by the handful. Dont use duckweeds or Riccia, gets everywhere and are hard to control. So, you'll not go far wrong with Salvinia for an easy to grow surface plant. And a absolute gem of a plant for you would have to be Hygrophillia polysperma. Two plants that will virtually grow anywhere and under a wide range of illumination.
Regards
BigC

Where's the best place on the net to get hold of salvinia??
I'm pretty sure none of my LFS stock it, which is a bum!

Riccia fluitans, you will be chucking loads of it away. It is a moss or if you want more of a plant then water letuce is easy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back