Supraman's 237 Gal Build

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Only if you want to work on it, of course we love seeing your updates :)

You seem pretty handy with building things. Did you do a lot of reading or are you just well versed in such thing? Aka you do this sort of thing for a living.

well both sorta,

I would never attempt to build a fish tank, especially one made out of wood had I not have done any research. I probally spent a good 72 hours in just studying on how to do this successfully. I joined other forums as well to see how others had done similar builds and tried to alter some of their designs to allow for a stronger stand, so far id say my stand is capable of supporting at least 4000 lbs. Although my stand is nowhere near finished right now, once done I would honestly say that I personally believe that my stand would be able to hold the full weight of a 3/4 ton truck without any failures. I would even test this if I had the means of doing so.

I love building and constructing things with my hands and I am a automotive mechanic, although that has nothing to do with aquariums some principals can be passed down like how I will always find a way to improve on what I have, or make it stronger and more durable. I also hate it when things dont work the first time I test them so I over engineer everything. To be honest this tank is small compared to what I was supposed to be building. I had a full 1200 gal tank planned out almost a year ago but I had to move into the city because of health issues. 

This build is actually really simple just time consuming, all finished I hope to be under 550$ for a 237 gal tank, which for where I live is insanely cheap.

I know what you mean about over engineering, my philosophy has always been better safe than sorry. Keep the good work going, but if you don't know whether to do more on it or not at any particular time (and you are anything like me) then don't, that's where things start going wrong. Come back to it the following day and the chances are you will fly through something that was taking hours previously.

This is awesome. Keep us all updated it chat too! ;)

A discus tank would be awesome with a large shoal of tetras and another large shoal of cories!

Excited to see more Supra! Looking good :D

Thanks guys and gals :)

The only reason I was in debate last night was I had forgot to buy another drill bit as I broke mine. I'll pick it up tonight and hopefully a side project as well

So bad news update

earlier today I had an inspector come and check out ny house to see if my floor would be strong enough to support the tank. At first he said I passed with flying colors, then realized he was looking at the wrong section of flooring. I have to change my tank design before I can continue and I have to cut the size down to 140 gal and even then thats alot of stress so I may go 120.

today has been nothing but disappointment, first that, then headlights in car burn out, then I get home to discover my dog ran away. so done with today.

Wow!

Thats a bad day in anyone's book.

They say these troubles comes in threes, so hopefully things can only get better.

Hope the dog comes home soon btw

Sorry about your awful day :( You can still do the discus & cardinals I think even with a 120g, though not 100% sure. Just not as many.
I really hope Lexus comes home soon, I know she's a smart girl and should be able to find her way back!

Hey Supra! I have a quick question that I think you may know the answer to better than me.

What would the cost for a stand be to hold an 8 gallon tank, with a 12'x12' base? My grandfather is building me one, and ATM Im budgeting.

That's 12" x 12". ;)

shouldnt be more the 10$ in 2x4s then a single sheet of plywood SHOULD cover the stand

before staining or painting id say 60$ roughly  depending on what type of ply wood you go with that is. I have only looked into 3/4 inch plywood so actually i would say like 30-40$ should build the stand before paint or stain.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back