Supporting member

I don't like 'big box store' equipment but then I build my own desktops. My thought on the big box like Dell and HP is that every component is supplied by the lowest bidder so the quality has to be questioned. Now Asus makes a nice laptop. I have one connected to a 24" Asus monitor that I've been running for ~10.5 years without issue except for having to replace the battery within the last year. Toshiba Satellites used to be also real good but I can't say if they still are.

You would be surprised at how many systems I've fixed just by removing all power, including the battery if a laptop, and hitting the power button a few times to discharge capacitors which are sort of like little batteries with a quick discharge. Even when turned off today's systems are never truly off unless power is totally cut. This does a full and total reset of the hardware.

I don't like 'big box store' equipment but then I build my own desktops. My thought on the big box like Dell and HP is that every component is supplied by the lowest bidder so the quality has to be questioned. Now Asus makes a nice laptop. I have one connected to a 24" Asus monitor that I've been running for ~10.5 years without issue except for having to replace the battery within the last year. Toshiba Satellites used to be also real good but I can't say if they still are.

You would be surprised at how many systems I've fixed just by removing all power, including the battery if a laptop, and hitting the power button a few times to discharge capacitors which are sort of like little batteries with a quick discharge. Even when turned off today's systems are never truly off unless power is totally cut. This does a full and total reset of the hardware.
My dad built a pc 15 years ago. My mom pressed the hibernate button a few years ago and it never woke up.

Thats good to know...
Ya, hibernate mode does a complete dump of the system memory (RAM) to the hard drive including any open apps. Over time this can wear out a drive. This isn't even really good for solid state drives (SSD) as they only have a finite number of times to which they can be written. With hard drives it isn't if they will fail but when.

While sleep mode is fine as to the hard drive it isn't good for the memory as sleep mode keeps the memory active even though the system seems to be off.

I finally did it and became a supporting member! It was super simple and I shouldn't have procrastinated for so long. Easy to do as a guest on paypal. I should have done it ages ago, sorry!

Oh, can we donate an extra amount?

For some reason I'm just not seeing it right now but there is a link for donations somewhere... :dunno:

I can't see anything like a donate button either. Wanted to throw a few extra quid since I was late signing up to become a member, and the site deserves it!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back