superglue

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BrianK

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
okay, tried supergluing some moss for the first time today. I think I will go with thread next time. :p

What a mess I made of that. I'm sure the moss will cover it up in a while but it sure looks bad now.

okay, tried supergluing some moss for the first time today. I think I will go with thread next time. :p

What a mess I made of that. I'm sure the moss will cover it up in a while but it sure looks bad now.
Did you use gel or liquid?

Did you use gel or liquid?
it was gel but someplaces it worked, some places it stuck to itself but not to the wood, someplaces it stuck to the wood but not to the moss. I think it is anchored to the wood well enough that it will eventually be fine but there are also splotches everywhere. I think it would have been much neater to just use some thread.

it was gel but someplaces it worked, some places it stuck to itself but not to the wood, someplaces it stuck to the wood but not to the moss. I think it is anchored to the wood well enough that it will eventually be fine but there are also splotches everywhere. I think it would have been much neater to just use some thread.
Yah... Probably would be then... Sorry that it kinda messed it up for you.

Superglue should only be used on dry surfaces. It doesn't work on Java Moss because of the moisture in the plant.

Use white cotton sewing thread or a rubber band to hold it in place. After a few months you can remove the thread or rubber band.

If you use any type of thread in a tank, make sure the fish can get caught up under it.

Superglue should only be used on dry surfaces. It doesn't work on Java Moss because of the moisture in the plant.

Use white cotton sewing thread or a rubber band to hold it in place. After a few months you can remove the thread or rubber band.

If you use any type of thread in a tank, make sure the fish can get caught up under it.
No. Super glue actually does better when the object is moist ad it cures faster

No. Super glue actually does better when the object is moist ad it cures faster
It tends to cure too fast when the object is moist, that's the problem! It cures almost instantly when it gets wet. Which can be useful, but I've been in the OP's shoes when gluing plants to hardscape especially, and the glue turns white, so it's easy to make a mess of a lovely piece of wood or stone while trying to do this!

I've still used glue recently, to attach a buce and another plant to a piece of driftwood, but did it gingerly and had to hide the glue under the buce with a bit of moss ball moss. I tend to think the thread is probably better, but you really need a helper to do it since two hands aren't enough, and I get easily frustrated trying to tie stuff down with thread, lol.

it shouldn't work in wet or damp conditions. It was designed for dry materials.
No. It cures super fast in moist conditions.
It tends to cure too fast when the object is moist, that's the problem! It cures almost instantly when it gets wet. Which can be useful, but I've been in the OP's shoes when gluing plants to hardscape especially, and the glue turns white, so it's easy to make a mess of a lovely piece of wood or stone while trying to do this!

I've still used glue recently, to attach a buce and another plant to a piece of driftwood, but did it gingerly and had to hide the glue under the buce with a bit of moss ball moss. I tend to think the thread is probably better, but you really need a helper to do it since two hands aren't enough, and I get easily frustrated trying to tie stuff down with thread, lol.
Yah it can be a pain but I've never had an issue with attaching something to what I want when it comes to plants on hardscape.

I think I might scrape it all off and try again with thread. I have to order more moss. I am not patient or particularly careful. Lol.
Been there! Yeah, definitely worth sucking it up and buying more moss to start it off, rather than waiting for super slow growing moss to hopefully cover it. If you're like me, it'll bug you whenever you look into the tank, so you'll feel better if you spend a fiver for a bit more moss to start it off right!

You should be able to scrape it off the wood, pick the bits of glue out of the moss and try again with thread. Superglue is good for gluing things like anubias or Java fern rhizomes to wood/rock but thread Is much better for moss imo.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back