Super tiny bug-like things in tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

alli789

Reaction score
In the past few days, I have found a few odd things in my tank. One, little white worm-like things. The weird thing is they're only on the surface, and they're very small, probably smaller then Planaria? They don't look like they have the shaped head either. Maybe they're just little stringy bits coming off my filter cartridge? They don't appear to move even when I try to touch them or scoop them out with my finger and I've seen them for probably about a week and they don't seem to be multiplying.
Two- tiny little white mite things. They're ridiculously small- like tinier then a grain of sand and incredibly hard to photograph. I really only see them in one corner of the tank where there's not much surface movement (they also appear to be only really floating on the surface. There were a few slightly down the glass that are the ones I could photograph.) I believe they're moving. They move sort of like bugs would, very quickly in short bursts. Since you can barely see the shape in the photo, they seem to have a round body and a short triangular tail. Are they cyclops? That's all I could find that look slightly similar but I'm not sure they are. Again, they're REALLY small. I don't think my betta even sees them because I feel like he'd try to eat them.
Tank details: 10 gallon, heated 78 degrees, one betta and a moss ball. Rest of the plants are silk. I have not added anything new to the tank recently. Betta seems great.
Last parameter measurements (about a week ago) (tank is cycled)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
pH: 8.1
Nitrates: between 40-80 (probably towards 40. I know it's high, my tap has 30ppm already so I'm working on phasing out the high nitrates during water changes.)
I don't overfeed. I do 10-20% water changes and gravel vac weekly.

Hope someone can help!
(BTW, in the photo of the stringy worm things, all the other specks are tiny bubbles)

Attachments

• weird tank things 2.jpg
    weird tank things 2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 49
  • weird tank things 1.jpg
    weird tank things 1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 48
Those are copepods, or cyclops also called.
Harmless and some fish will eat them.
Don't overfeed and they should keep in small numbers.

The worms could be either flatworms or microworms, also harmless and normal just don't overfeed.

Those are copepods, or cyclops also called.
Harmless and some fish will eat them.
Don't overfeed and they should keep in small numbers.

The worms could be either flatworms or microworms, also harmless and normal just don't overfeed.
Ok, thank you! Any idea how they could've gotten into the tank? I've only had the fish and moss ball for about a month but never noticed the pests before this week. Nothing new added except changing the filter cartridge.

Could have easily come in on the moss ball or water from the bags. Theyre very normal and common in tanks. Ive got them too (I actually raise them too)

This is how they look under a microscope. The one on the left is a male, the one on the right is a female carrying eggs
20200718_125428.jpg

Like @NCaquatics said they are common and usually show up in numbers when you over feed. They can also show up when a tank is not cleaned (vacuumed)regularly. We have all seen them from time to time.

Most reactions

trending

Back