Super Green Texas Tank Type/size?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Raticataticus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just chasing opinions on tank type and size for a Super Green Texas.

Asked the guy at my LFS and he simply said "4 foot is fine". How many gallons/litres is appropriate?

Should I go for something longer like this

IMG_4571.141152929_std.JPG

Or taller like this one?

AquaReef_005.jpg

Also what kind of filer and lighting? I am thinking a simpler/non-hooded tank with the lights on top like this.

horizon_004.jpg

And a hang on the side filter? They seem like the least amount of trouble.

With sand as the substrate. Should I get the cichlid (coral?) sand or plain sand?

Also, what about a bristlenose as a tank mate, if I can find a bigger one for sale? I will be getting the SGT as a baby.

I have kept fish before but never cichlids or bigger fish.

Also what kind of tank ornaments? A piece of driftwood and fake plants. Will he destroy it? I am going to try and get a male if I can.

I'd say 120 gallons as a minimum (4ftx2ftx2ft) although longer would be better. Footprint is almost always more important than height.
The cichlid coral substrate that you speak of is designed for African Cichlids as it raises the pH. Texas cichlids are from central America so regular sand or gravel should be used instead.
The bristlenose should be fine as a tankmate but in a 120, I really wouldn't add anything else.

I agree with above but it depends on which of the Texas the Super Green is? Do you know the latin name is it H.Cyanoguttas or H.Carpintis? If its H.Carpintis tank mates would be possible but I agree a 4x2x2 would be ideal, though you might view a 300 liter tank as a very bare minimum.

As for open top vs closed top I would go closed top everytime with cichlids as they can sometimes jump and splash a bit especially at feeding time

Wills

Wills said:
I agree with above but it depends on which of the Texas the Super Green is? Do you know the latin name is it H.Cyanoguttas or H.Carpintis? If its H.Carpintis tank mates would be possible but I agree a 4x2x2 would be ideal, though you might view a 300 liter tank as a very bare minimum.

As for open top vs closed top I would go closed top everytime with cichlids as they can sometimes jump and splash a bit especially at feeding time

Wills

Judging from the big guy I saw at the pet shop, I think it will be a  H.Carpintis.

He looked just like this guy only his pearling was more on the teal/blue/green side. Very big and stocky.

carpintis2.jpg

Go long and keep it covered! As far as filters go I have side canisters and they work- but I want to get under gravel as well. Cichlids are pigs unless you want to clean your tank out manually every other week or so like I have to I would suggest you really can't over filter and aerate your water enough.

Ah right if it is H.Carpintis you should be able to get some tank mates in there, though wait until you post pics so we can all get a positive ID as it can be quite hard.

I agree with above long and covered :)

As for filters - go for externals, its just an essential with cichlids IMO they are messy fish and internals will just not cope. Also undergravel are not a great idea, cichlids dig, a lot. And you can end up with heavily excavated filter plates.

Wills

As for filters - go for externals, its just an essential with cichlids IMO they are messy fish and internals will just not cope. Also undergravel are not a great idea, cichlids dig, a lot. And you can end up with heavily excavated filter plates.

So true -Did not think about how much they love to dig up things and destroy expensive plants and stuff  :/
Guess there's just no way around a good clean out and glass scrubbing lol

Wills said:
Ah right if it is H.Carpintis you should be able to get some tank mates in there, though wait until you post pics so we can all get a positive ID as it can be quite hard.

I agree with above long and covered
smile.png

Wills

What do you mean by external? Do you mean canister or would one of those hang on back ones do it?

Yeah the canisters, something like a fluval FX6

Wills

should work fine
you can always build one btw
really all you need is suction to remove the water a container containing filters for the water to pass through and a pump to push it back out cleaned of particulates and what not.
saw a guy using a 10 gallon filled with wiffle balls stuffed with sponges -and what he made worked better than anything he could've bought and was considerably cheaper.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back