Super bloated Angel

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
I noticed earlier her eyes look a little popped as well.
There is some build up of fluid pressure inside the fish, from some infection, organ damage could already be significant, that's why the fish is so "hungry".

Usually fish lose control of their swim bladders when this happens and its much more obvious somethings wrong.

I would only attempt treating the fish with Meds if you had a quarantine tank and knew exactly what you were treating (we don't know yet). It may already be too late and not worth the stress to other healthy fish. I would keep your water clean, try some garlic and just monitor the fish. Maybe it is just egg bound.

don't mix meds peas and garlic...
garlic is already a medicine as it is a natural antibiotic
and green peas is a natural laxative
also angels don't get eggbound which I mentioned before...
you're dealing with an illness...either use meds of the shelf for parasites which is the main cause for constipation/blockage most of the times
or the natural route...(don't use garlic for a period longer than 2 weeks as it can cause stomach/liver problems after being used daily for long periods)
if its blockage...I would just feed a small amount of peas dipped in garlic without any other foods and give it a few days
if it doesn't get any better..it's most likely a tumor and for that there's no cure...

Iā€™ve been mixing garlic enhancer from seachem with bloodworms or beefheart for food the last 2 days ? & I seen her pooping earlier which I havenā€™t seen in awhile so Iā€™m taking that as a good sign.
If it is a parasite , should I treat her with any meds ?

Iā€™ve been mixing garlic enhancer from seachem with bloodworms or beefheart for food the last 2 days ? & I seen her pooping earlier which I havenā€™t seen in awhile so Iā€™m taking that as a good sign.
If it is a parasite , should I treat her with any meds ?
off the shelf garlic products don't work as allicin (the main active ingredient we need) has a short shelf life span
these products work as appetite enhancers for fish but not as a medicine in itself
just grab some green peas from the fridge..
peel them...
mix with whatever fish food you use on a regular basis so it becomes somewhat like a paste instead of green peas cream
crush some garlic cloves and dip that paste into the fresh garlic juice extract
make some small round pellets with your fingers let them sit for 20-30mins to harden a bit and feed the fish
if you do water changes once a week I suggest you increase them to 2 or 3 times a week to remove pollutants like the leftover garlic juice from the tank
and if your weekly water changes are 20% don't increase to a 60% so you can just do one instead of 3
the last thing a sick fish needs is to be stressed with big water changes and difference in water chemistry
and to answer this: If it is a parasite , should I treat her with any meds ?

you shouldn't do something just because someone told you so
if you don't know why garlic is used for and you're just trusting someone because they said it works
these can explain quite a few things and the reasons why off the shelf products don't work VS fresh garlic extract
there's another article about effects etc that I can't find right now
but basically fresh garlic extract is the only antibiotic known that has no known drug-resistance and treats a whole many variety of conditions
it can cause stomach lining problems and liver damage when consumed daily for periods of over 14 days and should not be used as a appetite enhancer on a daily basis
it's nice when people can help you in the right direction...but you should always find out how and why this or that works

I seen her pooping earlier which I havenā€™t seen in awhile
That's good, if it was very sick there would be no poop at all. Did it look normal? If the poop doesn't show signs of internal issues and the fish acts and looks healthy (even though its fat) I wouldn't worry more about it. Maybe fast it for a day every now and then and just keep an eye on its condition.

I havenā€™t noticed her pooping since the last time. Above her mouth was red again this morning :( should I maybe try an Epson salt bath? I also seen a YouTube video where a guy put a clear inline tub down a goldfishā€™/ throat to help clear out an air bubble. I donā€™t want to do this but could air be a possibility as well?
Sheā€™s still swimming ok too, maybe just not as active but can still get around no issues.

should I maybe try an Epson salt bath? I also seen a YouTube video where a guy put a clear inline tub down a goldfishā€™/ throat to help clear out an air bubble. I donā€™t want to do this but could air be a possibility as well?
An Epsom salt bath might help to clear the digestive system but IMO this is not constipation related. If air was an issue the fish would have buoyancy problems. Don't attempt to insert anything into the fishes mouth to help here, it won't like it ;)

You noticed some redness? I'm really not at expert with medicating but have seen a few things. IMO there a internal bacterial infection in or around the gut, with the amount of swelling your seeing the internal damage may already be irreversible.

I wish I could help more, but in Canada, no Meds allowed. We just get to watch em die and guess :confused:
Best of luck with this one.​

An Epsom salt bath might help to clear the digestive system but IMO this is not constipation related. If air was an issue the fish would have buoyancy problems. Don't attempt to insert anything into the fishes mouth to help here, it won't like it ;)

You noticed some redness? I'm really not at expert with medicating but have seen a few things. IMO there a internal bacterial infection in or around the gut, with the amount of swelling your seeing the internal damage may already be irreversible.

I wish I could help more, but in Canada, no Meds allowed. We just get to watch em die and guess :confused:
Best of luck with this one.​

Thank you , I just wanna give her some kind of relief. I wish I knew if the Epson salt bath would help but I donā€™t want to stress her out for nothing. Sheā€™s still tryna fight I just dunno what else to try :/

Attachments

• 3573CB78-2E92-4A30-AAC6-DA006CA41C46.jpeg
    3573CB78-2E92-4A30-AAC6-DA006CA41C46.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 18
Unfortunatley, it may be too late to help this fish. Its not clear but the scales appear to be sticking out, "pineconing" they say. Once that happens the fish will pass soon after, consiser euthanizing to help it end, if that is the case.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back