Super bloated Angel

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Maryjaeee

Reaction score
one of my female angels has been bloated for almost a month now. Iā€™ve tried feeding peas, placed a plastic container in my tank in case she needed to lay eggs, Iā€™ve done 3 partial water changes but nothing has helped so far.
I stopped feeding during the afternoon bc Iā€™m scared she might burst. She is always at the top & the first to eat. She came with the tank so I am not sure about her age

Attachments

• 4713DC8F-7D7E-4C2B-B2C9-2A626C5EC413.jpeg
    4713DC8F-7D7E-4C2B-B2C9-2A626C5EC413.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 7F0E8FAA-DC26-4522-9604-FAF7B00AC362.jpeg
    7F0E8FAA-DC26-4522-9604-FAF7B00AC362.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 126F8E80-7C6F-4D60-99E1-D60F0A3EF2F1.jpeg
    126F8E80-7C6F-4D60-99E1-D60F0A3EF2F1.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 69AECB24-4675-487E-B5DD-A8ECA36F1412.jpeg
    69AECB24-4675-487E-B5DD-A8ECA36F1412.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 23
If her feces and appetite are normal she could be egg bound. The only solution Iā€™ve heard of is not feeding for a few days and hoping she reabsorbs them. You could also try raising the temp a little bit. If the tank is overcrowded or parameters are bad that may also contribute to her not laying.

If her feces and appetite are normal she could be egg bound. The only solution Iā€™ve heard of is not feeding for a few days and hoping she reabsorbs them. You could also try raising the temp a little bit. If the tank is overcrowded or parameters are bad that may also contribute to her not laying.
I donā€™t think sheā€™s goin to the bathroom like normal :/ she is always hungry tho & the first at the top for food . I will raise the temp a bit & do another water change tmrw šŸ¤ž hopefully it helps

I donā€™t think sheā€™s goin to the bathroom like normal :/ she is always hungry tho & the first at the top for food . I will raise the temp a bit & do another water change tmrw šŸ¤ž hopefully it helps
she would've reabsorbed the eggs by now...specially over a month..
peel a bunch of green peas and feed it to her..if its constipation it should help her clear it out...
if it's a tumor not much you can do

she would've reabsorbed the eggs by now...specially over a month..
peel a bunch of green peas and feed it to her..if its constipation it should help her clear it out...
if it's a tumor not much you can do

It looks like thereā€™s some internal bleeding ?? I seen it like this the other day & then she was fine but this is worse

Attachments

• A6D218BE-F815-42A0-9364-F86912A792E0.jpeg
    A6D218BE-F815-42A0-9364-F86912A792E0.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 22
It looks like thereā€™s some internal bleeding ?? I seen it like this the other day & then she was fine but this is worse
have you fed her green peas to help out with digestion? hopefully it's just a constipation and she's just blocked...

Yup I made more earlier & fed some bout an hour or so ago. Iā€™m gonna make sure I give her a few peas daily to help , I feel bad for her it looks uncomfortable

to me looks like she's constipated because if you look specially at that last picture the bloat goes from the front thinning out into the back across the whole body...
a tumor usually would be in a single area and the bloat from it would just be a bulge... you can mix some garlic with the peas to help cure whatever is causing it... the peas will work as a laxative and help clear stuff out

I didnā€™t think about this before, but I do have another pair of angels in the tank. That female is super aggressive & I just noticed that pair nipping at the other male. Maybe they are preventing her from laying eggs? I am not sure Iā€™ve only had single pairs of angels that lay eggs in the tank .
This tanks 120 g thatā€™s fairly low stocked. I have a 10 inch Bichir that keeps to himself in his ship but itā€™s just the angels that mess with each other .
I do have a 55 gal with another pair of angels but they lay eggs every so often so I donā€™t want it to be the same situation :/
Not sure what I should do

well angels don't get eggbound and the resemblance of it would soon disappear as the female would just reabsorb them within a couple of weeks.. you said this has been going for over a month...so ilness.. either constipation or a tumor
I'm leaning towards constipation

Sounds similar to a few Tetras I had. They got noticeably bloated and always ate very vigorously, like they needed to be even bigger. Looked healthy and they just got bigger until, suddenly, they clearly weren't healthy and died. I figured some sort of internal infection was responsible.

Knowing if the fish is pooping and how it looks might help to diagnose it.​

Sounds similar to a few Tetras I had. They got noticeably bloated and always ate very vigorously, like they needed to be even bigger. Looked healthy and they just got bigger until, suddenly, they clearly weren't healthy and died. I figured some sort of internal infection was responsible.

Knowing if the fish is pooping and how it looks might help to diagnose it.​
Maybe it is a parasite thenā€¦ I mean, if the parasites are doing damage to the intestinal lining I wouldnā€™t be surprised if that made a change to their appetite. Like if they eat some of the food that the fish eat or prevent the fish from properly digesting nutrients.

Maybe it is a parasite thenā€¦ I mean, if the parasites are doing damage to the intestinal lining I wouldnā€™t be surprised if that made a change to their appetite. Like if they eat some of the food that the fish eat or prevent the fish from properly digesting nutrients.
I hope not :(
I noticed earlier her eyes look a little popped as well.
I will try to feed her something with garlic tmrw , should I try metroplex? I couldnā€™t dose my whole tank, and I donā€™t have a hospital tank but I could dose the food.

Attachments

• 2A07A040-5783-4CBC-AD6C-00D211AE0484.jpeg
    2A07A040-5783-4CBC-AD6C-00D211AE0484.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 21
  • 8E69D433-BE21-47FF-92C4-0D9FC830C623.jpeg
    8E69D433-BE21-47FF-92C4-0D9FC830C623.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 18
I hope not :(
I noticed earlier her eyes look a little popped as well.
I will try to feed her something with garlic tmrw , should I try metroplex? I couldnā€™t dose my whole tank, and I donā€™t have a hospital tank but I could dose the food.
I think metroplex is more for external infections, Fenbenzadole and Praziquantel are what are usually effective against internal parasites. What do you mean by her eyes popping?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back