Super Active Goldfishes!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Er3din

Reaction score
hello guys,3 months ago i got 3 baby goldfishes 2 fantails 1 pearscale
they are now in a 120 litters tank,they were much calmer when they got here
but since a month ago they are constantly looking for food even when im goin to sleep i can hear them moving gravel stones
they also chase eachother sometimes
is this normal? i mean ive seen goldfishes before but they were not active like this

as for food,i give them 3 types of food,
dajana gold gran
dajana tropica basic
dajana daphnia
i also feed them frozen bloodworm once a week

Yeah it’s perfectly normal for them to be looking for food all the time, it doesn’t mean they’re hungry or anything they will always accept food even if it gets to the point of it not being good for them.
The chasing behaviour is most likely an attempt at mating, males will chase females and nudge towards there bum in order to get them to drop eggs.

hello guys,3 months ago i got 3 baby goldfishes 2 fantails 1 pearscale
they are now in a 120 litters tank,they were much calmer when they got here
but since a month ago they are constantly looking for food even when im goin to sleep i can hear them moving gravel stones
they also chase eachother sometimes
is this normal? i mean ive seen goldfishes before but they were not active like this
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

@panda_could be correct and it could be normal mating behaviour.

However, it’s important we know your water parameters, in case there is a problem.

How often do you carry out water changes and gravel cleans? Goldfish create a lot of ammonia. This can be toxic to fish.

Best of luck!

I agree with panda Cory on mating. If they are that active, I’m presuming your water quality is fine but never hurts to check. Goldies are always hungry even when they’re not. Lol! They love to scavenge in the gravel/sand. How much and how often do you feed?

thanks for the answers guys! i dont have a test kit,but i have the seachem ammonia alert and it shows Safe,an internal filter running in the tank,no heater but i check the temp everyday its between 22-24,and i change around 20 litters every 3 days,using seachem gold basics
i feed them twice a day,once in morning before i go to work,and another when i get back around 7 pm
in morning i give the one with most protein,in afternoon i give the one with most veggies(spirulina)
and for the mating ,they should be around 6 7 months of age,dont know if they start it in this age,they were around 5 6 cm max when i got them,two fantails are over 10 cm now

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back