Sunsun

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Budman

Reaction score
Is the sunsun 3000 big enough for a 55 gallon tank?

About a month ago, I setup a Polar Aurora (unbranded Sunsun) HW-304 B on my 110g stock tank. It's rated at 525gph (but ratings are without media). I have it filled with sponge material and feel the flow is perfect! I bought this (Amazon) because the price was $75, $25 less than the Sunsun HW-304 B. A great value and the filter is working great for me!

20190901092504w.jpg

The Sunsun HW-3000 is rated at 793gph (at about $130) which I think is a bit much for a 55g.
If I was you, I think I'd go more for a lower end Polar Aurora with less gph flow (265 or 370) and much easier on the wallet at around $55 USD.

Attachments

• 20190917_190809 - w.jpg
    20190917_190809 - w.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking it might be worth the extra money for the 3000 because it has a timer for the UV bulb. I've read that leaving the UV on too long can ruin the baskets. Ive never owned a canister filter before so I'm just betting some info before I purchase. I was thinking of getting biohome for it. That stuff is pricey. Is it really that good?

I have seen a Youtube of degraded trays when the UV was run 24/7. I've heard others say that the water moves past the UV light so fast that it's really not effective. I can't say for certain on either. I have only been using the UV light for 2 hours following water changes - I simply set a timer on my phone. I don't think it's going to kill pathogens but may have some positive effect on water clarification.
I don't know about bio-home ultimate. Richard, the Pond Guru swears by it but he's involved in selling the product. I tried culturing anaerobic bacteria to convert nitrates into nitrogen gas with Seachem Matrix and De*Nitrate...I was not successful. I think it can be done, but requires deep crevices or pores and very slow water flow. I'm currently experimenting with anoxic biocenosis clarification filtration (google Dr. Kevin Novak phD). But more time is required before I can comment on results.

Biohome, MarinePure's Cermedia, and Sechem Matrix/De*Nitrate are all 'contenders' in the claim for lowering nitrates with bio-media.

Actually, I think fast growing floating plants are better at indirectly lowering nitrates as they out compete BB in converting ammonia into plant tissue that is eventually removed by trimming.

Investing in ways to make routine partial water changes faster/easier is a much better investment than commercial bio-medias that promise lower nitrates. Nothing makes fresh water fresher than the partial water change of sufficient volume to reduce pollution.

is it better to use tap water and a conditioner or buy bottled spring water. I can get bottled spring water for $3.00 a 5 gallon bottle.

is it better to use tap water and a conditioner or buy bottled spring water. I can get bottled spring water for $3.00 a 5 gallon bottle.
Only if your water is really bad - do you drink it and/or use it for cooking and bathing? Considering that typically you should do 50% or more weekly water changes.... So there's the cost and the HAULING of bottled water. Better to get a good conditioner and a Python to make water changes easier.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back