SunSun HW-3000

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I considering the SunSun HW-3000 as my next filter. I was wondering if anyone has any input about this filter.

I would like to stay with canisters around this priceline, because I can't afford the fluval or other much more expensive canister filters. Also important to me is having a UV light built into the canister.

I am wanting a new canister filter because this one the Polar Aurora is working great except for one problem and that it is heating the water to 80° F.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just sold my perfectly good fx6 for £150. And a perfectly good TMC v2 Vecton UV Steriliser for £30.
Worth looking for second hand gear.
Ive got a couple of APS filters which are the same design as the sunsun. They're a bit of a pain to prime and get rid of trapped air, otherwise do the trick!

Last edited:
Just sold my perfectly good fx6 for £150. And a perfectly good TMC v2 Vecton UV Steriliser for £30.
Worth looking for second hand gear.
Ive got a couple of APS filters which are the same design as the sunsun. They're a bit of a pain to prime and get rid of trapped air, otherwise do the trick!
Yep if I had money I would get the Fluval FX6 for $339.00 and the Fluval Plant Spectrum Bluetooth LED 3.0 for $209.99 and a separate UV lighting system. But for now I have to compromise with other finical needs and have to do this on a lot less money. That is why the Sunsun filters and Nicrew lights.

Like I said I have no problem with the present canister filter which is basically a Sunsun filter by a different name, I just don't like the way it heats up the water in my tank. I know it is the filter because I did a water change cooling the water down to only 75, left all the lights off, and the water still heated up to 80. When I turned back on the lights after the water reached 80. this made no different in water temp.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That is odd for it to heat the water considerably. The uv does put out a very small amount of IR but I wouldn't expect it to heat water that much. What size is your tank?

That is odd for it to heat the water considerably. The uv does put out a very small amount of IR but I wouldn't expect it to heat water that much. What size is your tank?
55 gallon, I now that it is odd, but it is what is happening. I went through the reviews on the Polar Aurora filter and found only one other person with the same issue that I have with this filter heating up the water. So it would seem to be rare, that happens to only the unlucky few, of which I am one of.

I've used sunsun filters on a couple tanks for several years. It's true, they are harder to prime than the more pricey filters, but otherwise no troubles with them. Heck of a good filter for the price if you ask me.

One of the latches broke on my Polar Aurora canister filter yesterday at an attempt to clean it. It is still working without leaking, but very worried about it. So looks like I am going to have to get a different one sooner rather than later.

So today I pulled the trigger and ordered the Sunsun HW3000.

Like I said the latch broke on the Polar Aurora canister filter and so far it is holding water and working ok. But I am really worried about it and decided not to touch it again until I get my new canister filter.

Also after replacing with my new filter, I can see if indeed it was the Polar Aurora that was heating the water to 80° F.

As far as the Sunsun HW3000 is concerned I like the idea that I can program the speed of flow and hours per day on and off of the UV light.
I will keep everyone updated on what I think of this filter.

Yesterday I got my new Sunsun HW3000 in and today I have it set up for a test run in my garage on a 29 gallon tank. I will let this run for a couple of days to make sure it is working ok and doesn't leak. So far so good.

One of the things I am really interested in is will this new canister heat up tank water the way the old one does. So I have a thermometer setup to measure the temp. The temp starting out is 71.5° F, so I will look at it again later to see if it is heating up. One should expect some increase in water temp, simply because of the pump pushing and pulling water through the hoses, which causes friction, which causes heat. But this should be very minimal increase in temp maybe one degree, I will see. But that is all just guessing on my part.

Since this canister filter has four large trays, I am using the bottom two for sponge filtration. I will fill the top two trays with the bio-home media from my old canister filter when I replace it with this one.

So far I am really liking this pump, much easier to prime then my old Polar Aurora where it is primed by pushing a big button on top. Of course I had to fill up the canister itself with water before setting it up. Then all I had to do was fill up the intake tube with water (I used a plastic water bottle which took about six refills to fill up the hoses). Plugged in the canister and it spit some air out, not much, but then pumped water.

One of my complaints is those green hoses that came with it. These are only 5' long, not nearly long enough for me to use. The out take side is ok in length, but the intake side needs to be 10 feet for my setup. I setup the canister filter in a large plastic container off to the side of my aquarium stand and have to run the intake the full length of the tank and then some to reach. I ended up buying a 10 feet long clear plastic hose from Lowes that seems to be working great.

But the Sunsun HW3000 has some great features like being about to adjust motor speed and hours for the UV light to be on and off. So for now I am really like my new canister filter, but time will tell if my feelings on this change.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back