SunSun HW-3000 UV 9W 5-Stage External Canister Filter 793gph

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have only had the HW-3000 up and running for two weeks now, so this is my impression so far.

This is the second of only two canister filters that I have ever used. The first was the Polar Aurora 525 GPH version. Both of these filters are identical internally with four large media baskets. I filled the first two baskets with five pounds of bio-home ultimate media which means that each basket can hold approximately two and a half pounds of media, depending on the size of the media. That left the first two baskets to receive flow and clean the tank water, before it encounters the media, with filter pads.

Internally is the only place these two filters are identical after that they are completely different. There are many canister filters along the same idea of a large button on top for priming the filter as is with the case of the Polar Aurora filter. The HW-3000 does not have a button for priming instead it is primed by removing a cap on top of the intake tube and the plug, filling the hose with water then replacing the plug and cap. I found that I could not completely fill the hose all the way back to the filter, but HW-3000 still primed. I like this feature much better than the button, much easier to prime. Once the HW-3000 is primed and running then I have to lean the filter over to one side and pat it like burping a baby to finish removing trapped air. After this the filter ran smooth and quiet.

I like that I can set hours of the day for the UV light to turn on and off, while on the Polar Aurora there is only an on/off switch. I also like that with the HW-3000, I can adjust the flow rate by adjusting the impeller speed. So far this is all working very well.

Pros:
  • Large canister filter with good flow rates
  • Good value for the money.
  • Four large media baskets.
  • Easy to prime.
  • Controlled timing for UV light.
  • Fan speed control for adjusting flow rates.
  • Very quiet motor.
  • Reliability has yet to be determined, but so far no problems.
Cons:
  • Can not get a replacement for the top hose connector.
  • Very heavy, when full of water, media, and wet sponges.
  • No way to drain water with a bottom valve, so the top has to be removed to do so.
  • The hoses where two short for my purpose and had to purchase longer hoses.
  • Replacement parts, not much is available.
  • Not available in local stores as are more popular brands like fluval and marineland.
  • New to the market, so some time in the future could be phased out as other Sunsun filters have been.
Susnsun line of canister filters come and go, though some have endured. The Sunsun HW-5000 is phased out and no longer available through Amazon, but it can still be found elsewhere. This makes me wonder how long the HW-3000 will endure or be phased out in time. I hope Sunsun HW-3000 will last me for years to come.

I broke off one of the large latches on my first canister filter the Polar Aurora, prompting me to buy a second filter. The latches are identical except a bit smaller on the HW-3000 but I have learned the secret to opening the latches, hopefully without breaking them. Two latches are used to create and break the seal between the top and the body of the filter, these two should be opened second and closed first. The other two latches are there to only help hold the top on the bucket body, these should always be opened first and closed last. If you try and open the canister with the first two latches that form/break the seal without opening the other two latches first they will break off.

Last edited:
Can you do me a favor and tell me if the filter trays are exactly the same size ? Missing the too tray in my 3000 and found parts for the polar . Just need to make sure it's the same aize

I have tried 2 sunsun canister filters and both of them broke within a few months and probably needed new parts, but I didn't want to look for or try to spend the time to fix them because I didn't like them anyway
edit: I just noticed this thread is years old
well i guess i'm bringing the discussion back

Utar hasnt been here since August

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back