Sunny - My Bearded Dragon - Had Life Saving Surgery

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

I Like Rare Fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Long story short, my Bearded Dragon had life saving surgery on his jaw from a bone infection. If you want to read about specifics, go to this thread https://www.fishforums.net/threads/tough-decision.475194/

This is a very extreme surgery for a predatory lizard. One has to go into the jaw, and pick away at the bone or get rid of the Bone Infection. Then, put in an artificial bone or metal plate to replicate the jaw once again. There are lots of ways this surgery could go wrong. Thankfully, Sunny did well! He needed a little help to get through the anesthesia, but he did well. However, the vet did find problems. He found infection on both the top and lower jaw. He needed to make many cuts to get all the bone infection out There. However, he only charged me an extra $300 for this. The surgery lasted over 2 hours, and took a toll on Sunny. In total, the surgery costed $1300. The exploratory surgery costed $200. The pain meds are based on what kind of bone infection he had, which is tested in a laboratory (it’s part of the surgery expenses). The screwing in of metal plates was only in the major parts of the infection. Others, the vet spread a new kind of steroid that is used on humans that increases bone growth. His mouth is swollen. We need to give him liquid food for 2 weeks, as well as 2 pain meds talked about above, and a shot of pain meds in his upper legs.

He has his 75g tank inside with bricks stacked on top of each other and a soft towel. I’ll let you know day-to-day about his recovery. He has a long road ahead of him, and Im hoping he stays as the gentle giant he is.

Attachments

• E85F0B27-51FD-4A64-BA2D-98AE2653AB5B.jpeg
    E85F0B27-51FD-4A64-BA2D-98AE2653AB5B.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 17FDB61E-0C81-423D-83AD-17B79FCD62A5.jpeg
    17FDB61E-0C81-423D-83AD-17B79FCD62A5.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 114
Long story short, my Bearded Dragon had life saving surgery on his jaw from a bone infection. If you want to read about specifics, go to this thread https://www.fishforums.net/threads/tough-decision.475194/

This is a very extreme surgery for a predatory lizard. One has to go into the jaw, and pick away at the bone or get rid of the Bone Infection. Then, put in an artificial bone or metal plate to replicate the jaw once again. There are lots of ways this surgery could go wrong. Thankfully, Sunny did well! He needed a little help to get through the anesthesia, but he did well. However, the vet did find problems. He found infection on both the top and lower jaw. He needed to make many cuts to get all the bone infection out There. However, he only charged me an extra $300 for this. The surgery lasted over 2 hours, and took a toll on Sunny. In total, the surgery costed $1300. The exploratory surgery costed $200. The pain meds are based on what kind of bone infection he had, which is tested in a laboratory (it’s part of the surgery expenses). The screwing in of metal plates was only in the major parts of the infection. Others, the vet spread a new kind of steroid that is used on humans that increases bone growth. His mouth is swollen. We need to give him liquid food for 2 weeks, as well as 2 pain meds talked about above, and a shot of pain meds in his upper legs.

He has his 75g tank inside with bricks stacked on top of each other and a soft towel. I’ll let you know day-to-day about his recovery. He has a long road ahead of him, and Im hoping he stays as the gentle giant he is.
so wholesome, made my day : )

Woke up gave him his pain meds. Hes been doing well. He just sits on his bricks and sunbathes. I try to keep him as relaxed as possible, so I can’t take him out of his enclosure for a little while. He hasn’t perked up yet.

He ate 7 whole snap peas today! He is making a speedy recovery. He has injectable antibiotics, pain meds, and oral antibiotics. Hes a handful, but he’s doing good. I sold my drumset, and am selling my basketball hoop, and a few other things to fully pay for Sunny. It’s in these times where you realize you don’t do anything with half the items you own! Nevertheless, the drumset got sold for $500 - had over 1k invested into it. Basketball hoop is yet to sell.

I think that's fantastic. Once you start working and earning some money, you can buy another drum set on craigslist. I'm sure you get a lot of satisfaction in knowing that you contributed in saving Sunny's life. If he could talk, he probably would thank you. ;) Sunny's lucky to have you as his caregiver.

I think that's fantastic. Once you start working and earning some money, you can buy another drum set on craigslist. I'm sure you get a lot of satisfaction in knowing that you contributed in saving Sunny's life. If he could talk, he probably would thank you. ;) Sunny's lucky to have you as his caregiver.
Thanks

Hello, little update that is kind of sad.

A few days ago, I found him l his foam ‘rock’ not moving, with his eyes shut. I immediately opened his cage. Keep in mind. This was at 9PM, and Sunday night. He was kinda week. I couldn’t really tell, as lizards don’t show a lot of emotion. There wasn’t anybody who could take him. The next day, he pulled through the night. I took him. I skipped half of school. They couldn’t find anything. They took blood, spit, and something else for testing results were inconclusive. Nextday, we took him back for more testing. Waiting to hear back. They gave him injections to help for pain, and they gave him antibiotics because he could’ve had a ‘seizure’ kind of thing. They said that he could have a blood infection. However, he perked up. He’s been acting great. I think this one is my fault. I told him I fed him a wild tomato worm. However, tomatoes are nightshades, and are poisonous to most animals. When a wild tomato worm eats the leaves, there is a chance that the animal could be poisoned. The poison would not show up on the test, which could be why it’s inconclusive. Anyway, he’s been doing great. He’s on 2 oral antibiotics, 2 injectable ones (including the seizure med), and 1 ’goo spread’ to put directly onto his teeth.

Hello, little update that is kind of sad.

A few days ago, I found him l his foam ‘rock’ not moving, with his eyes shut. I immediately opened his cage. Keep in mind. This was at 9PM, and Sunday night. He was kinda week. I couldn’t really tell, as lizards don’t show a lot of emotion. There wasn’t anybody who could take him. The next day, he pulled through the night. I took him. I skipped half of school. They couldn’t find anything. They took blood, spit, and something else for testing results were inconclusive. Nextday, we took him back for more testing. Waiting to hear back. They gave him injections to help for pain, and they gave him antibiotics because he could’ve had a ‘seizure’ kind of thing. They said that he could have a blood infection. However, he perked up. He’s been acting great. I think this one is my fault. I told him I fed him a wild tomato worm. However, tomatoes are nightshades, and are poisonous to most animals. When a wild tomato worm eats the leaves, there is a chance that the animal could be poisoned. The poison would not show up on the test, which could be why it’s inconclusive. Anyway, he’s been doing great. He’s on 2 oral antibiotics, 2 injectable ones (including the seizure med), and 1 ’goo spread’ to put directly onto his teeth.
pheeeeew, good thing he is ok
nightshades are weird things idk why we even eat them every day

Good to hear he is doing well! I hope he'll make a complete recovery!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back