sunlight and shrimps

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

As per previous thread I had issues with shrimp dying from being in a tank with plants that may have had fertiliser or pesticides, so I bought more plants, anyway, the elodea densa one looks like ****, so I have no concerns it wasn't treat with fertiliser, anyway, there is a slight whiteness around the edge of it, I am not sure if this is algea or the same white stuff of fungi that the other thread I posted showed the food growing. I will wash it just in case. however I have a concern because the plant looks poor, I want to give it more sunlight, however sunlight brings heat, if I had the shrimp in the area of the room that gets light in the day so its temperature would vary, is that ok or not? thanks in advance.

I wouldn’t go above 76F with them. Also make sure the temp doesn’t change more than 2 degrees at a time. I wouldn’t do direct sunlight though...use indirect and plants can still benefit. Good luck.

Hi,
Thanks for the response, I am using these clay pellets (one only) which the seller confirms is safe for shrimps, to help grow the plants, is this really possible? I just find it hard to believe plants can grow without soil.

My plants just grow in gravel. I have no dirt. They get enough fertilizer from waste to keep them going. I quit using plant fertilizer all together. Of course, I keep easy plants like anubias and amazon sword because I don’t have an aquatic green thumb.

The difficulty with sunlight is you can't control it so you could very easily end up with a lot of algae. One thing worth mentioning is that plants often struggle when moved to a different envirnment. They do need 2-4 weeks to settle in, so be careful of trying to fix a problem that may not exist.

I have actually never managed to grow elodea densa successfully. As @Deanasue suggested I just changed to plants that do well in my tank. In my case this was vallisneria. It took about 6 weeks before it decided it liked my tank and then just took off and I have it everywhere now.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back