Sunfish and Natives

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I Like Rare Fish

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking for a sunfish that will not be aggressive towards koi and channel catfish. They will be in a 2200 gallon pond. Iā€™ve researched a lot of species of sunfish, and do realize that most are aggressive, but any information/experience is greatly appreciated.

I am looking into Pumpkinseeds.

Any other native fish ideas would be nice. Thanks!
@Caesar

Last edited:
Won't the channel cats eat their tankmates?

Iā€™ve kept sunfish in aquariums from time to time- hereā€™s what Iā€™ve found.
If kept with another fish, a sunfish will definitely take charge. However, if kept with a group of fish, they will usually go to a corner and sulk. If you put them in a pond with koi, I think that the koi will be ok, but the sunnies may become subdued, and may not eat well.
Only one way to find out, I guess.

Iā€™ve kept sunfish in aquariums from time to time- hereā€™s what Iā€™ve found.
If kept with another fish, a sunfish will definitely take charge. However, if kept with a group of fish, they will usually go to a corner and sulk. If you put them in a pond with koi, I think that the koi will be ok, but the sunnies may become subdued, and may not eat well.
Only one way to find out, I guess.
What species have you kept? What other natives have you kept? Do recommend any other natives?

Mostly green sunfish, although I have kept pumpkinseeds and bluegills in years past. I donā€™t recall any real aggression issues with either, although that was a long time ago.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back