Sumps...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I am getting a 6x2x2 tank soon and am looking at possible filtration. in my eyes its either a couple of fx5's or a sump but having never had or used a sump before i have no idea how they work and perform..... :blush:
can someone please explain them to me, what equipment is needed etc etc

many thanks

Is the tank going to be fresh or salt water? In both, you can put your heaters, filter media, etc. in the sump, and it can provide quite a bit of flow to the tank.

In freshwater, this is just a place to put all of your filter media, your heater, etc., I've never really looked into freshwater sumps, so I don't really know about them either.

In saltwater, you have lots of equipment that you can put in a sump, all of your media, and a refugium is a great thing to have, as it helps filter out nitrates, and it helps to grow copepods, which many fish will need to eat.

How it works is that there is either a hole in the side or the bottom of the tank, and water falls down an overflow weir, into the tube and down to the sump, down below. Then, you have glass baffles separating different sections, for different pieces of equipment, and media. In the final compartment, there is a big pump that pumps the water back up to the main tank.

Just a warning if you're drilling the tank yourself: make 100% sure that the glass on the tank is NOT tempered glass. I've had experience drilling tempered glass, and it doesn't work, the whole piece of glass cracks into a million little pieces. I was pretty bummed when I found out the glass on my brand new 90 gallon tank was tempered the hard way.

its for a freshwater set up as ive never done marine before.... i just liked the idea of no heaters or spray bars etc in the tank. what size sump tank do you think i would need to use for a 6x2x2? any idea....
im still trying to work out what would be the best way around doing this as ive never had a tank anywhere near this size before, 55G is my biggest yet!

Basically a "sump" is just a container that sits under your tank. Generally this is accomplished by using another fish tank, but you can just as easily use a large plastic bin.

Your sump tank can be adjusted and customized to do any number of things. The most common applications are a wet/dry filter or submerged media filter. In either case, water flows from your tank, through your filter media, and then back to the display tank via a submersible return pump. Other applications include the addition of a refugium (generally reserved for SW set ups, but FW refugiums have their benefits).

The basics of what you need are:

- a sump tank. (either an aquarium or heavy duty plastic bin)

- an overflow system (you can drill holes in the tank and install bulkheads, buy a pre-fab overflow box from your LFS, or simply build an overflow pipe out of PVC. either method serves the same function)

- a return pump (submersible return pumps are readily availible at most LFS online)

From there you need to decide in your filter method (I would highly suggest going the wet/dry route), and filter media. you will also have to decide on the turnover rate
You will also need to match your overflow to your return pump.but all these details get worked out a little bit later.

what size sump tank do you think i would need to use for a 6x2x2? any idea....

generally you want your sump to be 25-30% of your display. That gives you between 45 and 60g. So a 55g sump would be perfect. This will give you lots of room for your media and equipment (heaters etc), as well as increasing the overall volume of your water column. Also, it will give you adequate space to account for backfill during filter shut down.

what size sump tank do you think i would need to use for a 6x2x2? any idea....

generally you want your sump to be 25-30% of your display. That gives you between 45 and 60g. So a 55g sump would be perfect. This will give you lots of room for your media and equipment (heaters etc), as well as increasing the overall volume of your water column. Also, it will give you adequate space to account for backfill during filter shut down.
:good: thanks, ill do more research before i decide which way to go, filters or sump!

not 100% but i think i might bail and go for what i know....... and get 2xfx5's as they seem the best deal at the moment and i know what im doing with these :unsure: :blush:

Its actually not nearly as difficult as it sounds. I think the explanation is a lot more complicated than the system itself. Lol.

sumps are basiclly a larger external filter. water feeds from the tank to the sump and through the filter media then bk to the tank much the same ways as a external filter does except u can hide heaters and things in them

can anyone give me an idea of the set up costs for a sump please. its to be used on a 6x2x2

cost can vary A LOT, depending on how you want it set up.

a simple DIY wet/dry sump can run you as low as $30 + the cost of your return pump.(some of which can be very inexpensive.
while something more "fancy" will cost you much more.

there are many factors when determining cost. most of which depend on the materials, and media you use, as well as the price of your return pump.

Good thread. I've always understood what needs to be done but never exactly how people achieve it.

I wouldn't be keen on drilling the tank so what are these overflow boxes that have been mentioned, are they any good and are they a good alternative to drilling?

I am getting a 6x2x2 tank soon and am looking at possible filtration. in my eyes its either a couple of fx5's or a sump but having never had or used a sump before i have no idea how they work and perform..... :blush:

many thanks
You might be better off going through the "marine section" and check out there photo's, or pop down to a lfs which stock marine fish and have a look at in there cabinets. Google coventry aquatics godiva tanks, you might get a better understanding of there workings. If you are thinking about drilling holes in ya tank, Try doing it outside with the tank in a black bin bag. Failing that try drilling the tank in your next door neighbours garden, Its less to clear up if the tank does go bang. Good luck.

many thanks
You might be better off going through the "marine section" and check out there photo's, or pop down to a lfs which stock marine fish and have a look at in there cabinets. Google coventry aquatics godiva tanks, you might get a better understanding of there workings. If you are thinking about drilling holes in ya tank, Try doing it outside with the tank in a black bin bag. Failing that try drilling the tank in your next door neighbours garden, Its less to clear up if the tank does go bang. Good luck.
im getting a tank built so drilling holes can be done by the manufacturers, so this isnt a problem. i also understand that a sump acts as a filter but ive no idea on how to build one and set one up. ive seen some for sale ready made on ebay for about £70 for the sump tank but not sure if they are big enough... if i need a 55G just for a sump then it could get quite expensive....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back