Sump/refugium for freshwater

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

stanleo

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
This is just an idea in my head ATM and not something I'm close to implementing. I am just thinking of turning my 55gl tank into a sump with a refugium for my 110 community tank. I have a reef tank with a sump and its great to be able to clean things without shutting everything down.

Has anyone ever done this? I think the benefits would be great. I could clean the filter socks to help keep nitrates low. I could run carbon cause it would be easier to change out the carbon. I could grow live food for the tank like amphipods and even keep a colony of dwarf shrimp in there for food. It could house equipment like the heater so the only thing I would see in the display is the overflow box and the return. Working in the sump instead of the display would reduce stress on the fish. It would also almost double the volume in the system which would make everything better.

What are people's thoughts about this?

Sumps are fine for fresh or salt water aquariums, and most of the people and shops I know that have plant tanks, have sumps on them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back