Sump Overflowing

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dprids

Reaction score
I built my first sump recently and I did not really take into account the size of pump compartment. There is no "max level" where water wont overflow if you keep it below.

When I turn off pump, it looks like it will overflow the entire sump. Of course, all is good right now, and I am looking at getting a backup batter. But, does anyone have any clever fixes that will divert back flow?

I do have a valve on distal (to tank) that I can shut off (still over flows). I also have really tight plumbing on the proximal portion (to sump), where it would be hard to place a valve.

But, I am sure in the history of sump making someone else has done this and has some clever work-around. Any tips?

Attachments

• 20200622_080837.jpg
    20200622_080837.jpg
    880.4 KB · Views: 65
You could use a float valve in the sump to control the inlet- the type that is used in cisterns. Personally I would also ensure the tank outlet is high enough so that if as much water as possible drains out of the tank the sump won't overflow. Otherwise a power failure would have disastrous consequences. You don't really need the sump more than 50% full.

Great feedback... The inlet is 1", with very little area around the sock filter. I was trying to make everything as small as possible. It is a 55G hexagon tank and a 15G sump. All fits into the hexagon setup. So, super custom, and I will need to adjust the solution to this problem for the custom setup. As you can see, I made the baffles really high, so I dont have the option of 50% full. The pump compartment is small which is a fault in my design. I have a fluidized bed filter with K1 micro early in the system. So, I cant let that over flow too much or the K1 will go everywhere.

Attachments

• 20200622_080837.jpg
    20200622_080837.jpg
    880.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20200619_194658.jpg
    20200619_194658.jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200618_094757.jpg
    20200618_094757.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 53
What are you planning to stock.
Full marks for effort but IMHO that is far too much work (and filtration) where a relatively small canister would work nicely.

Yes, I totally agree. I considered a canister. I am a chemist/electrical engineer, so I enjoy making things more complicated. I put eco complete as substrate and want to have a planted tank with either discus or angels.

dprids,

I’m am little perplexed by your plumbing system as it seems untraditional. I can’t really tell from your pictures or text as to exactly what is going on. Do you by any chance have a diagram of your current plumbing system?

I slept on it and my add a water bridge with an overflow tank.... See below

Attachments

• Tank.png
    Tank.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 59

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back