Sump or multiple canisters?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Legend_of_T

Reaction score
Hello, In the future I will be upgrading to a tank thatā€™s 756 litres (199 gallons). Iā€™m trying to decide on filtration for it, I already have a FX4 on my current tank and a spare tank that I can make a DIY sump for. My question is, how loud are sumps? And what overflow would be the best? Thanks!

I would definitely go for a sump. They can be a little noisy and some designs are better than others for that. It's not a horrible sound but it depends what your tollarence for noises is.

Its been a really long time since I set it up so can't remember details but there are ways to make it a lot quieter using valves to reduce flow a little. That then takes away the water falling sound.

A sump will be cheaper, more efficient, give even more water volume and mean you can keep all the equipment out of the display tank.

Edit: a Google for quiet aquarium overflow or weir should give you some useful designs. I mostly used what I think are called twin standpipe designs, the valve was on the main pipe and adjusted so that the water flowing over the weir wasn't dropping as far.

It depends on your fish loading. If you want to stock your tank so it looks really full, go sump. The sump in effect can double or fish loading. If you want normal fish ratios go internal. There are some exceptionally good internal filters on the market. The wonderful thing with internals, you can control where the current runs through the tank.

Most reactions

Back