Sump For 90 Gallon.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hudsona85

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Sump Questions

Hello all!

I recently just bought a 90 gallon aquarium with a over flow system, stand, 2 different canopies, canister filter, and a 20 gallon acrylic sump tank. I am very new to using a sump tank for filtration and have no idea where to start. I am up for the challenge and just needed some guidance. My plan is to run freshwater as well. I know this is the saltwater forum but was not getting any response in the freshwater side.

First of all, to be able to use the sump, I am guessing I would need some kind of pump? If so, what would be suitable for a 90gallon tank?
Secondly, What would be ideal for using filtration in the sump tank? I use SeaChem Matrix in the canister and HOB but there is so much space in this sump tank!
Last but not least, I also think I need to use some kind of attachment to be able to stop the sump tank for maintenance needs. And ideas?

If there is anything else I am missing, please let me know. Thank you!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efishforums%2Enet%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F442151-Sump-Questions%2Fpage__view__findpost__p__3744703&share_tid=442151&share_fid=1424327&share_type=t&share_pid=3744703

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using a sump is the same in terms of the mechanics of it for fresh or marine. 

This video might help some. What you put in the sump for filtration can vary. Personally I like the idea of using live filtration. In my marine tank I use algae, but in a FW you could use fast growing plants to do the same thing. They really work as a great filter. Of course this also depends on the configuration of your sump. Can you post a photo of the sump you have?

https://youtu.be/y7pDcbOaM1k

Any ideas as to what kind of plants that would work well? I think the sump is roughly 20 ish gallons give or take a few. It looks like a saltwater sump but I guess I could use the same concept for freshwater?

Thank you.

3252f4004434ae660d340408b0599195.jpg
e6c4284cde05783c7aa724f0a7333a7f.jpg
d890f6818fa4b02564ffe46c8e41033c.jpg
17bf2fdf3635cf088d357fb424bdf2b1.jpg

Yes, same concept as marine basically. 
You can fill it with media if you like, ceramic etc. 
As far as plants you would need a light on them of course but something with roots is good, that grows fast. Amazon sword or a val would work in there.

Would I need to change around the "stages" of water flow to benefit more for freshwater? Sorry, used to canister setups where I know water will flow. The video helped with some of the broad picture of what I can do but the idea of the getting everything to piece together without overflowing my house makes me a bit nervous.

Looking at how it's configured you will have it enter where the pipe is, it will flow through then the return pump will be on the other end. 
Where the water comes in is where you are going to have higher flow. This is where you would put media that needs to be pushed through like filter pads or ceramics. The second area is a slower area. This would be either plants or bioballs. 
Then you also have the return pump in this area. It looks like there is a little area designed to set a pump on. This is the area from which you will experience evaporation. You will see that this is where you top off the tank. 

I'm not sure the original use of that piece of equipment. It may have been a wet/dry trickle filter so you would have to experiment a bit to make sure the water actually will go through like you want. The pump seems to be set a bit high. 

I use a 20 gallon long tank that I put the baffles in so it's laid out just how I want it. Using pre-built stuff for a different configuration than it was made can be a bit tricky. 

Hmm. I tested the sump the other day and some leaks in it. I could theoretically just take the "stages" and start over. Might be difficult but worth the effort.

Thank you for your help!!

I know if it were me I would just ditch it and get a tank and custom add the baffles. I purchased my first sump, hated the restrictions of having something pre-made, and ever since then have just made my own using a tank, or in the case of my 210 gallon, 2 tanks. 

The nice thing is that you can get tanks for cheap. I just waited until PetCo had their $1 per gallon sale. Then you measure what you want for baffles. You can decide to either do glass or Plexiglas for it. If you do glass just take the measurements to the glass shop and they will cut it all to size. If Plexiglas just go to home depot and they will do the same. I've done both and like glass much better. I've also found that the cut is more accurate. The people at home depot don't always have the experience to get it just right but the glass folks usually do. Right now I have a simple 3 compartment sump. It has only 3 baffles. The first divides the where the drain is from the refugium which is the slower flowing middle area that most marine sumps have and where you would plant plants in a FW one. Then the other two are on the other side of this spaced as bubble traps, then there is a small area for the return pump and auto top off system. It's that easy. It's put together with black aquarium silicone so it's very strong. All this inside a standard 20 gallon long tank. 

That sump looks too small for a 90. You will want to leave enough space just in case the power failed where The water will keep flowing until air enters the siphon and stops it. And by the looks of it, it has a water level indicator which is too low for you to be able to do much in it. It might be designed to just keep a protein skimmer(SW setups) and return pump. I agree on getting a new tank for a sump. Get the biggest tank that you can fit under your display tank. This allows for more water volume to work with.

Chad said:
The nice thing is that you can get tanks for cheap. I just waited until PetCo had their $1 per gallon sale. Then you measure what you want for baffles. You can decide to either do glass or Plexiglas for it. If you do glass just take the measurements to the glass shop and they will cut it all to size. If Plexiglas just go to home depot and they will do the same. I've done both and like glass much better. I've also found that the cut is more accurate. The people at home depot don't always have the experience to get it just right but the glass folks usually do. Right now I have a simple 3 compartment sump. It has only 3 baffles. The first divides the where the drain is from the refugium which is the slower flowing middle area that most marine sumps have and where you would plant plants in a FW one. Then the other two are on the other side of this spaced as bubble traps, then there is a small area for the return pump and auto top off system. It's that easy. It's put together with black aquarium silicone so it's very strong. All this inside a standard 20 gallon long tank. 
I actually called PetCO and apparently missed the sale by a few days
sad.png

I went to an aquatics store where the people do sumps custom made for about $70-100 depending on the size. I was quoted $70ish for a 20 gallon. Not sure if that is considered expensive? I don't seeing it being a difficult job to get the tank and parts myself and DIY provided somene cuts the glass for me. I would imagine glass would do a better job. 

PhillippeIsaacNash said:
That sump looks too small for a 90. You will want to leave enough space just in case the power failed where The water will keep flowing until air enters the siphon and stops it. And by the looks of it, it has a water level indicator which is too low for you to be able to do much in it. It might be designed to just keep a protein skimmer(SW setups) and return pump. I agree on getting a new tank for a sump. Get the biggest tank that you can fit under your display tank. This allows for more water volume to work with.
The sump is about 20ish gallons. Too small? Yes, the sump was originally made for SW. Hmm... I have been concerned with the whole power failure issue. The overflow from the tank is about 4-5 gallons, plus however much is in the tubes that will bring the water back down. I imagine that wont be enough space to help prevent overflow of the sump? I guess that would mean more homework to do! Thank you.

Does that price include everything? Meaning tank, baffles, and installation of the baffles? If so then that's a good price. Most of the time you will bring the tank and pay around $45 bucks just to for the baffles and installation of the baffles. 

Yes, Tank, cut glass, labor and installation to whatever I want to configure (which I might have a general idea as to how). Hmm. At that point would 20 gallons be enough??

The rule of size for a sump is to pick the biggest size you can fit into your cabinet and still work with it, and clean it. If you can't get broken or dirty equipment in or out because it's too tall, then it's not the right one even if it fits. So if you can fit a bigger one, then go for it. Just make sure you can actually do all the maintenance you need to etc. I had two 20's on my 210 and that was enough to do what I needed. I have one 20 on my 75 and that's plenty for it. 

That brings up another issue, make sure the floor of the stand is strong enough to handle the extra weight. I added braces to the floor of the stand on mine. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back