Sump Design

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aquascaper

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hopefully upgrading my tank soon and i'm planning on using my existing 4 foot tank as a sump to replace the 3 foot sump I have at the moment.
I have been doodling and have come up with a design but wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts:
Sump.jpg

Chamber 1:
Dark Blue = Mechanical Filtration (Foam layer with Bioballs underneath)
Light Blue = Mechanical Filtration (Ceramic tubes)
Chamber 2:
Allows addition of pouches of Rowaphos, etc. directly into main water flow
Chamber 3:
Live rock in base with additional powerheads for increased water flow and large space above for holding naughty fish/new arrivals
Chamber 4:
DSB with mangrove shoots and possibly some types of algae
Chamber 5:
Skimmer + Pump housing (Skimmer pump rated lower than return pump to avoid backwash through sump)
Chamber 6:
Return pump and automatic top-off system (This is also where chemicals & treatments will be added)

Any ideas?

Considering that your tank has plenty of liverock, I would ditch the media in the first chamber and put your skimmer there. That will allow any micro bubbles from skimming to dissipate before the return pump.

GL

I wouldn't trip additives, esp calcium or alkalinity, near a skimmer or return pump or you are asking for them to seize. I'd drip into the fuge, myself, but best if possible into a separate tank with fuge or frags or something.

Thanks GL, may well try that instead although I have my Prizm running into the return pump chamber at the moment and have wrapped a piece of coarse foam around the return pump, this seems to stop any bubbles reaching the main tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back