Summertime WC's, SE Texas style

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Slaphppy7

Mod-o-holic
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
A "bit" more complicated than wintertime WC's, but you do what you must when your "cold" tap temp is around 90F

Attachments

• WC 1.jpg
    WC 1.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 28
  • WC 2.jpg
    WC 2.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 30
Or, keep fish which can handle those temps.:) My plecos can do so. I have outside tanks which I use in the summer. They are on a screened terrace which is all screens on 3 sides. Tanks temps will hit the low 90sF at times. The fish do not mind.

I had a 40B which held a pair of wild discus, a small school of rummy nose tetras and and 6 Hypancistrus L450 I had been growing out to spawn. A heater failure pushed the water to 104F when I discovered it both discus were dead and the rummy nose were all balls of mush. But the 450s were all hunkered down in caves and all were alive. I did a 50% WC fast and got the temps into the low 80s. About 4 weeks Later the 450s spawned for the first time.

@Slaphppy7
Why don't you just cool the water in a rubbermaid can and then add it to the tank? And don't you have air conditioning? That should keep the tank itself from getting that hot.

@Slaphppy7
Why don't you just cool the water in a rubbermaid can and then add it to the tank? And don't you have air conditioning? That should keep the tank itself from getting that hot.
Wow, you have some tough fish! Mine are not suited for those kind of temps, 78F is the max that I believe they will be comfortable with

I live in a small house, 2 bed one bath...no way I could store enough water for weekly WC's in 3 tanks, just don't have the free space

Where I live is uninhabitable w/out air conditioning...but here lately, with outdoor temps near triple digits, my A/C window units can barely keep up...we've had a pretty severe drought here lately, as well...rain helps cool structures...thankfully, we're getting some much-needed rain next week

I like that ! Necessity is the mother of invention.
Indeed, it is....though it is a hassle to float the frozen water bottles, I actually use LESS water with this method...in the wintertime, I have to run the faucet for several minutes to get the cold/hot mixture suitable to match the tank temps...in the summertime, it's just crank up the "cold" tap, and get to filling

I get the hot. It's over 100 right now and I'm trying to fix a shed door. Cooling off while drill battery charges.
I don't keep any fish indoors that require chilling, I have AC and running air driven, I lose a lot of CO2 but the tanks get cooled that way. Still those frozen jugs are a neat idea.

Dang, that’s crazy. How hot is it down there right now?

I get the hot. It's over 100 right now and I'm trying to fix a shed door. Cooling off while drill battery charges.
I don't keep any fish indoors that require chilling, I have AC and running air driven, I lose a lot of CO2 but the tanks get cooled that way. Still those frozen jugs are a neat idea.
Thank goodness for the upcoming forecast...hope you guys get some of this up there next week, too

Yeah, working outdoors right now is brutal...even though I got the yard done early yesterday, it was still pretty rough

Attachments

• Weather.jpg
    Weather.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 21
The 29G

Attachments

• 29G 1.jpg
    29G 1.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 29G 2.jpg
    29G 2.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 22