Suitable home for rescued rainbow shark a last?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The only reason I haven't said much else is cause I don't know the fish well or the tank its going in too well but I will say that I'm happy for you. I'm glad you are taking your time and trying to make sure its the right decision and not just handing it off.

lol no worries, I don't know the fish well either! :lol:
Yeah, I wanted to find someone suitable for him, and figured he could stay in the 22g QT alone until the right place came along, or go to the store as a last resort, since I checked they'd be willing to take him before agreeing to get them! One person who responded to my ad seemed keen but when I asked about their set up, they wanted to put him in their Pick 'n Mix 20g tank... with two yoyo loaches, a clown loach (!) cories, a plec, endlers and tetra :mad: There were other fish too, but I forget what else they said. Wildly overstocked with completely unsuitable fish for him anyway. I said no, obviously!

I know my LFS is great, and would likely find a suitable home for him. But it would still be more stress for the rainbow to be moved and have to adjust to the store, then who knows how long to find a home for him and if it would turn out to be a good one. All of the adopted fish have been through enough already I think, so I'd much prefer to find his permanent home that he can go to straight to from here.
I wish I had endless tank space too :rofl:

Haha, it's the dream for all of us, right? I think that's why a lot of fish youtubers go into it! Like MD fishtanks. He admits that he's newer to the hobby, but has a talent for scaping that makes his channel very watchable, and he has the personality to pull it off as well. He went from having a few beautifully scaped tank in a shed in his garden, to a large studio and sponsorships from places like Tropica, meaning he gets his plants for free, plus other things from other sponsors. Then can expand to a much larger fishroom/studio, needing new content means frequently creating new set ups, sponsorships and channel income winds up not only paying for the hobby, but also enough to live on! Dream come true really!
I'm too weird and shy to attempt anything like that, I hate cameras, lol. But I can admire the hustle and see how it's meant he can have any fish he wants now!

How is the rainbow shark at your house, does it get along with everyone?

How big is the pleco?
If the pleco is a decent size it should be fine, just make sure the tank is gravel cleaned regularly coz plecos are pigs.
If the kribensis have plenty of hiding paces it should be fine.

How is the rainbow shark at your house, does it get along with everyone?

How big is the pleco?
If the pleco is a decent size it should be fine, just make sure the tank is gravel cleaned regularly coz plecos are pigs.
If the kribensis have plenty of hiding paces it should be fine.
Thank you @Colin_T ! Happy to hear that you think it should be fine!

The rainbow has been in my 22g QT tank since August 28th, arrived with three cories, one oto, and a blue (three spot) gourami that had all lived together for a couple of years. Tank had been neglected, photos showed a dark tank with a lot of organic build up obvious even though the tank was dark since their light was broken and only had blue light, and the water that came with them had sky high nitrates. Nice people, but tank had obviously lost its attraction a while ago, and not terribly well stocked.

Day one I put them all into the QT, and shark immediately began following the stressed gourami around the tank, hassling her, wasn't sure if it was nipping at her, but I got her out of the tank fairly quickly just due to the chasing. He stayed in QT with three cories and the oto though, and haven't once seen him bother them, even when I check at night, at mealtimes, or when they sit right by or on top of his cave, and they haven't shown signs of being afraid of him either. Spends all his time in the slate cave from his previous home (I asked if he had a favourite hide, and could it come with him, and it's three chunks of slate set up so one is a roof piece).

Shark is 6 inches long and she thought she'd got him and the gourami about two years ago.

DSCF9760.JPG

The new home, the guy said the plec is grown, and I saw a lot of hiding stuff! Cave bits, tubes, huts, plants etc. So much stuff in fact that I wondered whether the shark might need some clear swimming space opened up! (?) But maybe he'd be fine navigating around objects and plants etc. Substrate and decor looked clean though, no build up between the glass and gravel, clear water etc. You know when you look at a tank and can just tell it's cared for? Not shiny brand new clean, but obviously maintained.

Last edited:
I was convinced to get juvenile rainbow sharks in my first tank as a kid in either a 30 gallon or a 40 long by my dad and the pet store employee, and they ate ALL of my peaceful fish. They were the last species standing. I think it traumatized me a bit, and that may be the reason others are also less than enthusiastic about your rainbow shark. Looking back on it, there were definitely areas where care was lacking that led to many fish funerals in front of the toilet. Here's what I learned for next time:

Lots of floor space. Set up decorations in a way that your shark can weave between them along the substrate without having to make crazy turns or swim over them, as this will both hide other fish from view and give your shark a big space to swim where the other fish probably won't bother it.
Keep its tankmates healthy. Take extra care to feed them high-quality food ideal for their species and do whatever you can to keep competition and stress down. Weak or tired swimmers could be targeted, but having enough space for your rainbow shark may be enough to prevent that.
Give the pleco lots of places to hang out that the rainbow shark can't see it from, whether those are in shadow, the same color as the pleco, facing the opposite direction, or far away from the shark's hide. Rainbow sharks are known to be particularly territorial with other bottom-dwellers.
Give your shark some protein in addition to algae. Brine shrimp, tubifex worms, bloodworms, daphnia, mosquito larvae, and other little bugs 'n' stuff are good choices. I know brine shrimp and bloodworms sink, so I can recommend those, but I have no experience with the others.

Having had experience with rainbow sharks taking down my more fragile fish (guppies, platies, mollies, and a peacock "eel"), I'm a little nervous about your angelfish, but hopefully having ideal conditions will keep the peace. I wish you luck!

Welp, rainbow shark has been collected, whoot!
Really nice chap. Also bought me some wine as a thank you - I was just happy to find what should be a suitable home for him! But I'll enjoy the wine while having a long soak in the bath tonight I think! :D

Got to get a good look at him once he was in a large tupperware the guy had bought. Really is a beautiful fish in great condition! Almost sad to let him go. Almost...lol :lol:

Welp, rainbow shark has been collected, whoot!
Really nice chap. Also bought me some wine as a thank you - I was just happy to find what should be a suitable home for him! But I'll enjoy the wine while having a long soak in the bath tonight I think! :D

Got to get a good look at him once he was in a large tupperware the guy had bought. Really is a beautiful fish in great condition! Almost sad to let him go. Almost...lol :lol:
Great news, I'm glad it worked out well

Great news, I'm glad it worked out well
Thank you! I was gonna give it another week or so to try to find a new home before giving up and taking him to the store. Glad this guy saw my ad when he did, I feel a lot happier sending him to a home I've seen, rather than abandoning him at the store, no matter how nice the store. Happy endings are nice :)

Plus, I met a friendly local hobbyist, which is always good. Handy to build a network of local fishkeepers.

"He" bought you wine as a "thank you"... Awwww that's so sweet 🤣

But seriously, congrats on finding him a new home! Sounds like he will do really well

LOL, why the scare quotes around he and thank you? Nothing like that, young man! Much older gentleman and married, we just talked about fish :p
LOL I was wondering if you'd get it 🤣
Nah, I know. Sounds like he was just being really kind.

LOL, why the scare quotes around he and thank you? Nothing like that, young man! Much older gentleman and married, we just talked about fish :p
Oh wait... You thought I was talking about... NO! That's not what I meant.
Oh God 🤦‍♂️

Proper explanation:
"He" gave you the wine as a "thank you"
I meant that it wasn't really a "thank you", but instead he was being flirtatious and trying to be nice but in a more romantic kind of way...

Oh wait... You thought I was talking about... NO! That's not what I meant.
Oh God 🤦‍♂️

Proper explanation:
"He" gave you the wine as a "thank you"
I meant that it wasn't really a "thank you", but instead he was being flirtatious and trying to be nice but in a more romantic kind of way...
Why is the “he” in quotes?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back