Suggestions ??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jadzir

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I am in the process of cycling tank number two.
Added the snack dose of ammonia 24th of August.
The nitrites are not dropping at all.
Temperature is at 28c. Ph is 8.
On day 33 now. The first tank was fully cycled in 33 days.
Not in a rush to get it done but would like to see the nitrites dropping.
Thanks as always for the help and advice.

I've always pinched media from an existing filter and did a fish-in cycle....probably not very useful to you now, sorry 😬

So I am in the process of cycling tank number two.
Why?
Just grab half the filter media/ material from the 1st tank and put if in the filter on the second tank. Wait 24 hours and add some fish.

Plants may not take up nitrite, but they should stop nitrite increasing as they take up ammonia.
Media from your first tank should contain nitrite eaters which should remove nitrite.

I would use both.

Why?
Just grab half the filter media/ material from the 1st tank and put if in the filter on the second tank. Wait 24 hours and add some fish.
Doing my water change and filter clean tomorrow so will transfer some then.
Thanks.

Plants may not take up nitrite, but they should stop nitrite increasing as they take up ammonia.
Media from your first tank should contain nitrite eaters which should remove nitrite.

I would use both.
Will do.
Thanks

If your nitrite is really high because of 2 or 3 or more full size additions of ammonia (if I remember mine was off the scale, by diluting with tap water I estimated it as 8 or more ppm), it might actually be inhibiting the growth of the nitrate producing bacteria. Did you do any water changes to prevent this?

I think I had to do a large water change, like 90%, then started again with a full dose of ammonia. The ammonia was ofc dealt with straight away as there were a few small plants and a full colony of the nitrite producers. I think I was totally cycled within a few days. At first I was confused as I saw little or no nitrate being produced, but then I realised the plants were taking out some of the ammonia, so the nitrate produced was less.... but mainly I hadn't banged the API bottle hard enough. (I was expecting nitrate in three figures, as I had added 4ppm ammonia daily for 3 days in a row, getting zero ammonia and nitrite on fourth day; when i finally banged and shook the API bottle I got 80ppm). I know now - that if plants are growing enough you may actually get zero nitrate also.. but I guess you know that).

If your nitrite is really high because of 2 or 3 or more full size additions of ammonia (if I remember mine was off the scale, by diluting with tap water I estimated it as 8 or more ppm), it might actually be inhibiting the growth of the nitrate producing bacteria. Did you do any water changes to prevent this?

I think I had to do a large water change, like 90%, then started again with a full dose of ammonia. The ammonia was ofc dealt with straight away as there were a few small plants and a full colony of the nitrite producers. I think I was totally cycled within a few days. At first I was confused as I saw little or no nitrate being produced, but then I realised the plants were taking out some of the ammonia, so the nitrate produced was less.... but mainly I hadn't banged the API bottle hard enough. (I was expecting nitrate in three figures, as I had added 4ppm ammonia daily for 3 days in a row, getting zero ammonia and nitrite on fourth day; when i finally banged and shook the API bottle I got 80ppm). I know now - that if plants are growing enough you may actually get zero nitrate also.. but I guess you know that).
Added the snack dose and it dealt with the ammonia fine.
Tha nitrites we’re at 5+ but are now reading 2-5.
It just seems to have stuck there.
Going to add some plants and cycled media to see if that helps.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back