Suggestions for my 10G

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Josh Q

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well I have a 10G tank that's been cycling for about a month now, I have a bio-wheel mini for filter a heater and 30 watts of light. I was setting this up for aplanted tank for a wild betta but have been thinking of going with something easier for now. What are you suggestions for fish. I was think of putting black tetras and neons, or maybe two Gouramis in together but not sure if they are good by themselves. Also, is there a way to tell between male/female? Let me know what you think.

-Josh

PS-if it makes a difference I have white sand for substrate

paradise fish would be nice or cribs perhaps well paradice fish might get a little large... a selection of the smaller fish could be nice.

edit ive seen gouramis get to around 3-4" they are normally placid but i have seen some violent ones as for the crib i admit they are a little big for a 10 gal in this sence

Too small for kribs to be happy, I think. Some nice mild-mannered honey gouramis (they stay small) might do nicely with a school of neon tetras (But aren't neons a bit tricky?).

And something for the bottom -- a mystery snail? Or perhaps a marbled Oto? [Otocinclus paulinus]

Also, is there a way to tell between male/female? Let me know what you think.
In what, gouramis or tetras? Gouramis in fish stores are usually males, because the males are prettier. Tetras I've never noticed a difference, they all look the same to me. With honey gouramis, I found this online:

Males and females look similar except when breeding. Then, males get the "honey" color (it looks pretty dark to me), perhaps blue throats, and black on the front of the anal fins. Females remain a subdued color, sometimes called brown but it looks orange to me.

HTH.

I was thinking about getting two honey gourami's, an otto, and wanted to get both amber and neon tetras. The amber tetras I have only get to about 1/2" so they'd be good for a smaller tank. Should I just choose one of the tetras or is both ok? How many would be ok without crowding? I'm more going for a good looking planted tank, not for the most fish I can cram. Thanks.
-Josh

Alas, :*) it seems that otos, like corys, swim in packs.

Otos, Pygmy Suckers Otocinclus spp., Zebra oto. Parotocinlcus spp. Again a shoaling fish that should be kept in a group minimum of 5 or 6, an effective algae eater. Find out more about acclimatizing these to your tank here. Require algae or vegetables to eat. Parotocinlcus are not as shoal orientated but do prefer to be kept in trios or more.

If you buy the Parotoclincus (assuming it is available) and go with the three recommended, plus the 2 honey gouramis, you are probably leaving room for 6 to 10 neons -- and that might be stretching it. I am not familiar with "amber neons". Is that by any chance an albino neon? They will probably school together, but I am not even remotely an authority on neons. All I hear is, they seem to die a lot :-( and they have been much overbred, so be careful. They also like soft water, I believe.

An alternative (to the otos) might be to get an uncommon pleco (one that stays small), since I am pretty certain they at least can be kept by themselves. I don't know that they will clean the bottom of your tank, however, being more the algae eaters. Maybe the snail was a better idea, after all! :fun:

Well, whatever you end up getting, the plants and the neons will render your tank outstanding to look at, and that is really the idea, isn't it? Best of luck to you and your fishes!

Is a ph of 7.8 too high for gouramis? I've tried everything with my tanks and can't get it below that ph. All my other fish don't have any problems with it but I want to make sure before killing them. :X
-Josh

Josh,

Any specific ones? The ph preference changes depending on which ones, however "most" seem to prefer neutral. :D

I was thinking honey gouramis. Thanks.
-Josh

I agree with the person who said honey gouramis and neon tetras! I think that would be great! Maby 2 honey gouramis and maby 5 neon tetras and 3 bronze corries! Thats what I would do probably!

Are honey gouramis the same as "gold gouramis?"

NO :) !

Glad you asked before you bought! Honey Gouramies are members of the genus colisa, which the dwarf gourami belongs to as well. As you probably know, dwarf gouramies stay pretty small (2 - 2 1/2 in.), which makes them ideal for small aquaria. Similarly, honey gouramies stay small, and would also be well-suited to your tank. However, GOLD gouramies are members of the genus trichogaster, and are variants of the three-spot gourami. Three-spots and their tank-bred counterparts, the gold and opaline gouramies, grow to 4 inches, therefore limiting them to 20 gallon tanks and larger. If you can find honey gouramies, you're lucky :thumbs: , as I have never found any near me. Anyways, Good Luck with your tank - I hope it turns out well.

P.S. I second Shimanocono's advice for stocking, except I would suggest corydoras julii or trilineatus (leopard or three-lined cory), which stay slightly smaller. Definitely do not go with 2 schools of small tetras; you will be overstocked.

Is a ph of 7.8 too high for gouramis? I've tried everything with my tanks and can't get it below that ph. All my other fish don't have any problems with it but I want to make sure before killing them.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have fish in the tank now? I was under the impression it was still cycling. The honey, or dwarf gouramis can actually deal with the higher pH better than the neons. Neons range is 5 to 7, with a preference of 6, while gouramis (honey) range is 6 to 8 with a preference of 7. My gouramis, which are closely related to honey gouramis, live quite happily in the mid to high 7 range (7.6 to 7.8).

I would ask the lfs that is keeping them what the pH of their water is -- usually a local place will have a similar pH to your own water. The fish will probably not have come from a local breeder, but if they are surviving and seem healthy and active, they will probably be ok.

Neons also tolerate less water hardness, and that could be a problem with your higher pH. Gouramis tolerate hardness better. Have you tested for hardness, yet? I found some dip testers that test almost everything at once. Probably not the most accurate available, but sure simplifies the process.

So, you may have to rethink the neons in terms of your water chemistry, I don't know, I think they are a bit delicate and so not the hardiest choices. White Cloud Mountain Minnows are small and pretty and very hardy. Glow Light tetras might also be an option. I can't tell you how many times I've had to give up on a particular fish because of its needs or my limitations. It is disappointing, but it will all work out for you in the end.

Well I already bought the gold gouramis because I want some for my 25G tank anyways so I figured if they weren't the same I would put them in the 25. Thanks for the info on neons and glowlights, I'll have to think about it. I'll let you know how it goes.
-Josh

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back