Suggestions for good heater for 75 gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

WiccaFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a Topfin 300 watt heater in my 75 gallon and I'm looking to replace it. I'm currently dealing with either ick or velvet in my tank and am trying to get my temp to at least 86 degrees. Since I've been watching my temp like a hawk I'm realizing what a piece of crap heater I have. The temp flucuates way too much and can not keep the temp above 80 at night. (Our house is 68 at night and 70 during the day). I did not want to buy a second cheap heater from my local pet store but would rather spend them money on a well built and reliable one. Any suggestions?

hmm, i use ehiem 300 watt. its very reliable, we had a smaller one stashed for at least 5 years and worked as if new

And I apologize for using a not so pretty word when describing my current heater

Marineland 300W is a highly recommended one.

So these are my top choices:
Fluval M200 or M300 Submersible Heater

EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater

VIVOSUN 300W Aquarium Heater Submersible
Titanium Fish Tank Heater

or the Marine land 300W

The Fluval M300 would probably be the best out of those options. (Although the others will be cheaper)

Do you think it's best two get two lower wattage as opposed to one higher watt?

There are pros and cons to both.

With a larger wattage heater, it will heat up your water much quickly. But, if it malfunctions, it will kill your fish very fast.

With a smaller wattage heater, it will heat your water up much more slowly, but you have more time to save your fish if they malfunction.

A single heater also means less equipment in the tank, which makes it look more natural.

I vote for any 200-300w heater with the setting cranked up hooked to an inkbird external controller. It gives you digital set points with alarms. So like your current situation, you can easily set the temp to 86F.
Hmm...probably your current heater would be fine with the external controller.

Can you hook up two heaters to an Inkbird? I'm thinking I'd rather be safe and go with the smaller wattage double heater.
If I go with a double should I do two 150's or a bit higher?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back