Suggestions for a centre peice fish for my 100L?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BetterWithBettas

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
As per the title :)

Current stock:
- 3 otos (was hoping to add 2 more but unsure if my tank is big enough? lfs said 3 is good for my size tank but I know they prefer larger schools, they are very active though and seem happy in their current numbers)
- 1 MS
- 1 rabbit snail
- 1 Singapore Spiral snail
- yellow cherry shrimp
- tangerines tiger shrimp
- 2 rifle shrimp
- 2 Amano shrimp
- approx 10 dwarf rasboras
- 5 Red nose shrimp
- 5 DAE shrimp

Just wondering if I am able to add another fish to my current stocking as a centre peice fish? Perhaps a dwarf gourami or sparkling gourami? A single fish would be preferred! This is the tank, it kind of looks empty in this photo but there is a lot of activity so am hoping for a fish that can deal with a bit of hussle and bussle without eating the other small inhabitants or sending them into hiding.
20200812_151927.jpg

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Edit: as an aside, the left side needs to grow in. I have 3 banana lillies on that side and once they reach the top will provide a floating plant area which I have read gouramis like??

Last edited:
Awesome tank.

A dwarf gourami would be great centerpiece fish as long as it doesnt get dwarf gourami disease.. a common ailment resulting in early death. I was lucky the last time I got a dwarf gourami as it has been healthy. But 2 previous dwarf gourami died within a month or so.
One caveat might be if he would bother the shrimp. They tend to stay in the lower half of the tank.

You might consider entering your tank in the October Tank of the Month contest which will feature tanks sized at 17 to 30 US gallons.

Last edited:
Single centre piece fish are normally bigger which means it would almost certainly eat the shrimp. Sparkling gourami are known for it.
I'm happy not to add anything to this tank because of the current stocking I've gone with and really enjoy how much all the smaller critters are constantly out and about, definitely dont want to disrupt the great interactions you get to view with all the inhabitants so far - thanks very much for the insight, I was under the impression that perhaps a sparkling gourami would be suitable due to there smaller size! Dwarf gouramis I was not sure about, and I've not ever kept either with shrimp!

Awesome tank.

A dwarf gourami would be great centerpiece fish as long as it doesnt get dwarf gourami disease.. a common ailment resulting in early death. I was lucky the last time I got a dwarf gourami as it has been healthy. But 2 previous dwarf gourami died within a month or so.
One caveat might be if he would bother the shrimp. They tend to stay in the lower half of the tank.

You might consider entering your tank in the October Tank of the Month contest which will feature tanks sized at 17 to 30 US gallons.
Thanks very much for your reply, yes I was VERY hopeful that there would be a fish that was not a nano fish who would be able to fit all the criteria I had listed :p i think maybe I will not add a dwarf gourami just in case it does end up bothering the shrimp. Its nice for them to be out in a community tank as opposed to a species only tank! But if you have any other suggestions, please send them my way! :)

Get another 10 or 20 dwarf and a similar amount of ember Tetra. It will look stunning because both are schooling fish that love to be in large groups. I have sparklers in with mine but they also need a group and will hunt and destroy every last shrimp.

Yes, more Dwarf Rasboras or Mosquito Rasboras are good.

Be careful of Tetras even the small one.
I was watching a video from youtube where the guy was saying that most Tetras species even the small Tetras will eat your shrimplets.
Any shrimplets that can fit into the fish's mouth will become their food.

1)Why not add 2-3 Bamboo shrimps or 2-3 Red Lizard Twig catfish as your centerpiece?
The Bamboo shrimps get to about 3-4 inches big.

2)Or a group of 10 Pygmy Corydoras or Otocinclus.

For Otocinclus, it's better to have at least 6 of them.
By the way, you shouldn't add Oto at early stage of your tank as your tank doesn't have any algae for them to eat. Wait another 2-3 months when you have more algae before adding them.
The most beautiful Otocinclus is the Zebra Otocinclus.

Last edited:
It's a beautiful tank! And sounds lovely. I have my shrimp with guppies right now and enough shrimplets seem to make it, but I'm steering towards the idea of a shrimp only tank, or shrimp just with otocinclus, love these little guys too! But I love the scape you made, it's gorgeous!

Yes, more Dwarf Rasboras or Mosquito Rasboras are good.

Be careful of Tetras even the small one.
I was watching a video from youtube where the guy was saying that most Tetras species even the small Tetras will eat your shrimplets.
Any shrimplets that can fit into the fish's mouth will become their food.

1)Why not add 2-3 Bamboo shrimps or 2-3 Red Lizard Twig catfish as your centerpiece?
The Bamboo shrimps get to about 3-4 inches big.

2)Or a group of 10 Pygmy Corydoras or Otocinclus.

For Otocinclus, it's better to have at least 6 of them.
By the way, you shouldn't add Oto at early stage of your tank as your tank doesn't have any algae for them to eat. Wait another 2-3 months when you have more algae before adding them.
The most beautiful Otocinclus is the Zebra Otocinclus.

Yes I think I will most certainly add to the existing dwarf rasbora school! I have two rifle shrimp which look similar to the bamboo shrimp or could even be the same just called different names based on appearances. Those lizard twig catfish look amazing!! I've not seen them in Australia but will do some research about them and keep an eye out for them. Thanks for the tip on the otos! The tank has not been running for too long, maybe 6 months, I only added them in last week but I'll wait a few more months to add to their school too :)

It's a beautiful tank! And sounds lovely. I have my shrimp with guppies right now and enough shrimplets seem to make it, but I'm steering towards the idea of a shrimp only tank, or shrimp just with otocinclus, love these little guys too! But I love the scape you made, it's gorgeous!
Thanks so much! I love otos too! They are probably one of my favourite fish! They would be great in your shrimp tank if you were to do a shrimp only tank, they seem super active without the presence of any large or aggressive fish. I just watched on hitch a ride on my MS shell :p

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back