Suggestions For 4X2X2

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Gidge

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone, 

I recently purchased a 4x2x2ft tank (got it for a steal!), and I'm struggling to make up my mind as to what to put in it, Or rather, what combinations to put in. 

I will be running an Aqua One Nautilus 2700 canister and will be putting in lots of drift wood and plants. 

I'm staying away from Africans as I've done many tanks with them. 

I have two ideas so far; 

1. Discus (5-6)
Pair of GBR
Pair of Apistogramma (either cacatuoides or agassizii)
10-12 Corydora (either sterbai, adolfi, julii)
1 x L397 (maybe)
Dither fish (cardinals, rummy nose etc)
I've read that people have had success with keeping discus with a couple of angels as well. This is something I'd be interested in trying. 

2. Electric blue acaras
I would really like a pair of these, or a trio of females. However, I've never had them or the general blue acaras before, and not sure about what tank mates I can put in with them comfortably. Ideally, I'd like to have the fish I mentioned above, minus the discus and angelfish with the Acaras. 

Any other suggestions of fish I haven't mentioned will be more than welcomed. I am however sticking with the plants and drift wood. 

Thanks in advance!

I've been reading about discus myself.  Good biological filtration is a must.  Young discus require more feedings and it is recommended to use a auto-feeder.  Because of the extra feeding, live plants aren't recommended due to the water changes needed.  Having two small heaters is better then one large one.  They must be horizontal along the bottom or eggs may be laid on the heaters.  With the warmer water temps needed, the fish you add with the discus must be able to survive the hotter water.  you will also need air stones to provide more o2.

Live plants not recommended for discus? From my experience discus require frequent small water changes. Not sure how that would be detrimental to plants.

RobRocksFishTank said:
Live plants not recommended for discus? From my experience discus require frequent small water changes. Not sure how that would be detrimental to plants.

Not recommended for young discus under 4" in size.  Just what I read.  It could impact the plants.

RobRocksFishTank said:
Can you provide a link? I am very curious as to how.

I cant find it in my history.  But the suggestion was due to the maintenance required for the fish under normal conditions coupled with the plant maintenance.  Either the fish will stress out with the trimming and cleaning or the plants will struggle.  I will keep looking.  Either way, plants selected will need to survive the heat.

going through my history i came across this video interview. right around the 7:12 time.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OekMHBGE6Y[/youtube]

Okay, thanks for that.

I'm no expert but I did one Discus tank. It had live plants. The fish and the plants did well. Unfortunately, I can't say anything about how well it did long term because I had to move less than a year after I set-up that tank. I went saltwater at the new location and have not done discus since. Gonna have to do them again, maybe soon.

I have no experience with Discus but I know they can be difficult to keep. But they can be worth the work from what I believe.

With the Electric Blue Acaras I think it would be possible to do with the other fish but I would leave the GBRs out as they are more suited to the Discus temperature and set up. I would just go for a larger group of the Apistos, you could probably do 2 males in there with a fair few females and then 3-4 Acaras :) I would go for as large a tetra as you can though just to avoid any chance of the Acaras getting a snack.

Wills

Thanks for all the replies. I, myself hadn't read anything so far about plants suffering with young discus, but there's no end to the internet is there!
As for trimming and maintenance with plants, I am choosing plants such as swords, fern, tiger lotus <i>maybe<i> a ground cover, so there won't be much trimming required. 

Has anyone had any experience or read anywhere about discus and 1 or 2 angels getting along together? I've seen a few tanks where they seem to be cohabitating just fine. 

If I had a little group of Apistos going, when and if they pair up, will I need to remove the singles from the group?

Hi,

I have had a few tanks with Discus and Angels. They will live together well until you find a pair in your tank.... then all hell breaks loose!! :)

The angels are greedier for the food than the discus but as long as the food sinks the discus will do just fine.  

Goodluck with the tanks. If it was my tank i would go the discus route. so many options and colours to choose from.... lovely fish.

freerunner416 said:
Hi,

I have had a few tanks with Discus and Angels. They will live together well until you find a pair in your tank.... then all hell breaks loose!!
yay.gif
)

The angels are greedier for the food than the discus but as long as the food sinks the discus will do just fine.  

Goodluck with the tanks. If it was my tank i would go the discus route. so many options and colours to choose from.... lovely fish.
Thanks free runner. I've been around to some stores and fishy people just asking their opinions on the electric blue acaras. I think I'm gonna go down the discus route. Are you meaning a pair of angels or a pair of discus?
I have far more options in tank mates with the discus than I do with the Acaras. Especially for what I wanted the tank for anyway. 

Going to be a long project but will put pics up when it's all done :)

So I think I've made a decision as to what to put in there after speaking to some other fishy people like ourselves to get opinions.

5-6 x Discus
2-3 x Angels
1 x 3 Spot Gourami
1x Pearl Gourami
Pair x GBR
Pair x Apistogramma (not sure which one yet)
10-12 Corydora (more than likely Julii)
15-20 x Cardinals or Rummynose Tetra
2 x Peppermint Bristlenose

The two gouramis are a maybe as well either the GBR and Apistos pair. Depends on availability and how the rest are settling in. 

Any other suggestions??

I dont think the gouramis are a good idea.  they can get aggressive and kill your discus.  I would also watch the angels if they start breeding.

Vethian said:
I dont think the gouramis are a good idea.  they can get aggressive and kill your discus.  I would also watch the angels if they start breeding.
Thank you. Do you know how to tell the difference between male and female in the angels?

EDIT: Nevermind, just did some research :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back