April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Danibyrdd

Reaction score
My Power blue dwarf gourami, who'm I've had since December. Two days ago starting staying right where I normally drop his food, but started refusing to eat as of yesterday. Tonight I come home and I can't find him right away, normally he always swims right up to great me a beg for snacks, another sign I knew something was up.

Finally I find him hiding on the bottom of his tank between the tank wall and a plant. He wont move from his spot and is gasping for air. He's by himself in a cycled 20 long tank with 2 nerite snails and it's heavily planted. The temp is 78°, I checked the water peramiters and the Ammonia is 0, Nitrate is 0, and Nitrite is at 5 ppm. The pH is 7.6 (I know that's on the high side) and I just did a 20% water change two days ago.

I've read about dwarf gourami's being very prone to illness and having bad genes, but I've bever had a problem with him before. Does anyone know what is going on with my boy? Or any advice?

can you post a picture and short video of him?

is he swollen up around the belly region? if yes he is probably dying from an internal bacterial or protozoan infection. But a pic should help identify the issue.

Thank you so very much for your advice, but sadly he passed away while I was sleeping. (His belly was swollen)

dwarf gouramis have lot of internal bacterial infections. The bacteria damages an organ and they swell up and die pretty quickly when it happens. Unfortunately theres not much you can do to avoid it if you get gouramis from Asia. Local bred are usually fine but not imported :(

Thank you for the info, I did get him from a Petco (I know :/) but it was before I found another mom/pop fish store that I fell in love with. He most likely was an asia import.

unfortunately 99% of them come from Asia so it doesn't really matter which shop you buy them from, they just about always come from Asia

Thank you so very much for your advice, but sadly he passed away while I was sleeping. (His belly was swollen)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back