FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
for that aquarium, I’d get some loaches, as they are very active, but I would only get zebra, Kuhli, and dwarf chain. Kuhli are the cheapes, but are nocturnal, so give them places to hide. Instead of buying rocks from the store, I would get some from around your lawn, boil them in water for 5 minutes (to get rid of bacteria), and make a sculpture in the tank to make some nice dark caves. Your betta may like it as well; having his own little cave to snuggle in. Another fish I would try would be a honey gourami. They also love places to hide, along with plants. They love floating plants especially.
Thanks for your advice!
I read that loaches do better with a lot of room, and as of right now I only have a 20g to offer. Definitely will look into larger tanks in the future, especially if I want to add a couple of those guys! For now I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope all goes well as I cycle my tank (yikes) and then I'll look into adding just a couple of tank mates :)
Thanks again!!

I assume that is a bristle nose pleco, give him a cave to hide in.
These are the things that I have in the tank for hiding places. Sorry for the external links:

These are the things that I have in the tank for hiding places. Sorry for the external links:
All good

for that aquarium, I’d get some loaches, as they are very active, but I would only get zebra, Kuhli, and dwarf chain. Kuhli are the cheapes, but are nocturnal, so give them places to hide. Instead of buying rocks from the store, I would get some from around your lawn, boil them in water for 5 minutes (to get rid of bacteria), and make a sculpture in the tank to make some nice dark caves. Your betta may like it as well; having his own little cave to snuggle in. Another fish I would try would be a honey gourami. They also love places to hide, along with plants. They love floating plants especially.
I wouldn't recommend zebra loaches. Need high flow and can be very rowdy. In fact I wouldn't recommend any botia loach in a tank with bettas for that matter. Stick to pangio, if anything.

For all those that are still on here:
Sorry for the delay, I got my test kit and have been monitoring the values twice daily. The pH reads around 7.4; the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all read at 0ppm for now. I know these will change, so I'm watching them closely.
Thanks again to everyone who offered help! You guys are awesome!

The "rocks" that I have in my tank so far are all fake ones. Are those okay?
Yep, those are harmless :) Just make sure there are no sharp edges on any of the holes, since that could tear the bettas fins, you can sand them down if there are any sharp bits.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back